need to teach a trick fast..help please - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

need to teach a trick fast..help please

so for whatever reason our homework for advanced class this week was to have a new trick to show on Thursday...Silly me I'd rather work with the hiney head on OB.

Unlike the others in the class I don't have the luxury of using a trick Sage already knows because the trainer has been with us since puppy class and she's seen all of his tricks

I'm looking for something I can teach quick and have ready by Thursday...yes I'm waiting pretty last minute (I put the OB as top priority)

Sage is a quick learner so hopefully it won't be that hard

He already knows...

Hello/paw/shake
high 5
peek a boo -walks between my legs and looks up at me with just head poking out
giddy up - mom came up with it since she's short he's tall it looks like she's riding a horse when he does peek a boo so she says giddy up and he walks under her as she walks and it looks like shes riding a horse
catch
find it

probably know more but i'm drawing blanks

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 07:04 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Can he do a spin? It's easy to teach by luring with a treat. Once he's consistently following your hand, try it without food in the hand and reward from the other hand.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 07:08 PM
Crowned Member

Bring the leash?

I taught Stark in like 5 minutes.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Elite Member

Can he do "Bang"?

-Erich

Jove vom Denali - HOT

Waiting at the Bridge: Samurai and Beausox
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Elite Member

Tricks are actually extremely beneficial training exercises. They really help in forming a working relationship with the dog, challenging the trainer to come up with/teaching something new on a regular basis which can create a "smarter" dog and helping the trainer learn to problem solve/learn to break behaviors into small steps. And tricks are actually super useful as warm up exercises, stress reducers, refocus exercises and many actually offer good muscle building exercise and teach coordination. Sure some but not all of these things can be achieved with regular obedience commands but tricks are great because the trainer can relax with them - there is no specific requirement and messing up with teaching a trick doesn't matter too much.

Check out the "Our Training" section of this page (can scroll down on "Our Training" for articles) for trick inspiration: LoLaBu Land
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 07:24 PM
Master Member

How about a wave? It's an extension of shake, but you don't accept the paw. We taught it in a few sessions (we used the command "shake a paw-wave". She would extend the paw, we wouldn't take it, but then we'd praise her and give her the treat. Now we just have to bend our index and middle fingers in a wave motion for her to wave back.

Suki (Bella vom Wofenhaus, born May 31, 2008)
Diva (Aphrodite de Domus Didacus, born December 4, 2009)
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Cassidy's MomCan he do a spin? It's easy to teach by luring with a treat. Once he's consistently following your hand, try it without food in the hand and reward from the other hand.

spin does sound pretty easy...haha hopefully! I'll work on that still open to other ideas though!

Quote:
elisabeth_00117Bring the leash?

I taught Stark in like 5 minutes.
I think thats too similar to "find it" since he can go find almost anything he knows by name and then bring it to me. Cute video

Quote:
TitonsDadCan he do "Bang"?

we did try that one a long time ago, then we started working on OB more..I'll give it a shot and see what he remembers. Afraid its too complex to learn that fast and have ready in a class with distractions and stuff

-Brandi

6-5-09

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Elite Member

Bang is easy to teach. I taught my boxers to do it in 1 day. I would assume a GSD would be able to do it quicker.

Let me know if you need some pointers.

-Erich

Jove vom Denali - HOT

Waiting at the Bridge: Samurai and Beausox
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgileGSD View Post
Tricks are actually extremely beneficial training exercises. They really help in forming a working relationship with the dog, challenging the trainer to come up with/teaching something new on a regular basis which can create a "smarter" dog and helping the trainer learn to problem solve/learn to break behaviors into small steps. And tricks are actually super useful as warm up exercises, stress reducers, refocus exercises and many actually offer good muscle building exercise and teach coordination. Sure some but not all of these things can be achieved with regular obedience commands but tricks are great because the trainer can relax with them - there is no specific requirement and messing up with teaching a trick doesn't matter too much.
I do totally agree, I use the tricks sage already knows constantly in training. Its just frustrating when we are having OB issues and then we have to take a time out to work on teaching a new trick.

-Brandi

6-5-09

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki's Mom View Post
How about a wave?
I forgot he knows wave also, thanks for the idea though

-Brandi

6-5-09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page