Some problems with down - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Some problems with down

I'm having some problems with down with Nash. When we are doing an obedience session and I ask for a down he sits and then slowly walks his front feet into a down. Do I need to reteach it from a stand? I would really like him to just lay down, not sit and then lay down.

When we are just relaxing and he is pacing around and I ask for a down he will often come towards me, head down, ears back and roll over into a down instead of just downing where and when I asked. OR, he will stretch, take a few steps, licking his lips and then lay down or try to slink away. I don't know why there is all this submissive and avoidance behavior.

Regardless of why the behavior is there, I need to fix it. Again, do I need to reteach down? Or do . . . I dunno what do I do?

Everything else he does when asked immediately, not slow, not with other behaviors before hand.

-Melissa
Lloyd (big black mix)
Nash (rescue GSD)
and the cats
Snickers (DSH tortie)
Jake (DLH tuxedo blk & Wht)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Some problems with down

My trainer helped us to platz:
doing it from a stand and using treat w/ both hands to lure him in a backwards movement to the down. Stepping into him. When he positions correctly mark and pay him.
She believes it is best taught from the standing position, and not having them forge ahead to down.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page