How do I encourage my dog to play fetch? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

How do I encourage my dog to play fetch?

I rescued Otto from a shelter when he was 6months old and immediately began training him with various obedience, tricks, and simple commands. He learned everything pretty quickly and does all that is asked of him except "fetch". He knows the command, but sometimes does not see the point of continuously fetching the same object over and over (even with great treats)

He is 9months now and still has the same problem. Could it be possible that he just doesn't like to play fetch? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! I want to play fetch with Otto at the dog park, but he just looks at the ball and leaves.

OTTO - White German Shepherd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 08:12 AM

Re: How do I encourage my dog to play fetch?

maybe try being his motivation... like that high energy motive where Otto can relate... like if he gets the first fetch, when hes coming back to you start running the other way with high energy. He might relate it to like playing with other dogs...

or you might try trowing it and fetching it you self...lol i know it sounds funny... but if you throw it and run after it with him and grab it while teasing him to grab it, and run BACK to a specific spot(like where u threw it from), he might find it fun.. If he takes a big interest when you going to get it with him... u can slowly stop running after it....

i showed my dog Sydnee that whatever shes fetching could be very fun.... She use to run to whatever i threw and play with it there and wouldnt bring it back, then i did the running it back from where i threw it, then shes loved bringing back.... i guess the key is to make it very interesting and fun for Otto... and you cannot forget the high energy... cuz when its energy they like, they will focus on it...

i hope i helped a little bit

``Eddie``

Sydnee- 1year 8months GSD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 11:10 AM

I know how you feel. I adopted the most wonderful boy from Noble and he is limited prey drive. I have never been with a Shep that didnt like to chase or fetch. Keep trying he has finally learned but he really could care less. He only does it because he wants to please me.

Cat Page
Greensboro NC
foster for Noble Shep and Coastal GSD rescues

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 10:35 AM

Hah, great idea Eddie. Hehe, it's funny the million little tricks we learn to better our lives with our dogs.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Knighted Member

Neither of my dogs were fetchers either...until they saw us playing fetch with another dog and having fun with that dog. Then, they started getting into it and we started with very short, fun sessions and building up from there. We move the ball around to get them excited and jumping around before throwing it.

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DensterNY View Post
Hah, great idea Eddie. Hehe, it's funny the million little tricks we learn to better our lives with our dogs.
hehe thanx... i must have look funny, but it worked

``Eddie``

Sydnee- 1year 8months GSD
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 11:20 AM

Maybe he would prefer to fetch a Frisbee or a deflated soccer ball or a stuffed animal. It took a while for Iska to find tennis balls interesting. Now she'll fetch anything and loves to fetch her tug so that we can play that game when she brings it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:02 PM

I had a White Shepherd mix that had pretty low drive for toys. If she was feeling really good, so would fetch a ball a couple of times, but invaraibly she would stop and then looka t me like "You threw it! You go get it" She just was never much interested.

Argos liked to chase things and would run go get them and bring them back by 10 weeks. Different kind of dog.

When I would play with Ellie and Argos she liked the chase him getting the ball, but never much cared for the toy itself.

You can try uping the energy level, you can also try giving the toy more value so he wants to have it, either by trying a different toy or using Ed's suggestion of running out to get it yourself. IN the end though, he just might not be much of a fetcher.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page