Well, I'M not ready to go inside! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Well, I'M not ready to go inside!

How should I handle this?

9-month old Rookie is on a Dogwatch system and respects it. He's never outside alone, it's just so I can exercise him properly on my ~acre.

He has assumed the rope Kong as his 'job'. I give it to him when we go outside and take it away, announcing "That's enough" when it's time to go inside.

Well, smart dog he is, he's figured out something in my body language or timing and knows when it's 'almost enough". On occasion he simply stops coming back and ignores me when I call him. He'll run around with the Kong and decide for himself when he wants to go inside. He's definately a goofball and it's tough to get mad at him, but this is no frickin' good!

95% of the time he's on the money - listens, comes right over, drops it, goes inside and gets his cookie. It's that 5% that's driving me insane.

Any tips from the knowing?

Cary
NY - 10509

Eich 3/4/01 - 9/30/08 (HSA)
Rookie 4/16/09 - 7/8/16 (HSA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 09:26 AM

Re: Well, I'M not ready to go inside!

He is at that "catch me if you can" age. London went through that and once he hit 10+ months he out-grew it.
During that stage I would often put him on a long leash and command "COME" once and reel him in. This enforced the come command, which is one of the more important ones.
Once they do come, you must praise them like mad. London is very good at this now, but it took awhile. Olina is now 1o months and she has quite a ways to go. I really haven't been working with her a much as I did with London. My fault.

Good luck!

London's Mom

---------------------------------------------
Minerva 9/1994 - 1/2009
Lugar 4/1997 - 2/2009
Olina 4/2009 - 2/2011

London 1/19/2009 -
Emma 8/27/2010 -
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 10:23 AM

How about don't only recall him and take his toy when you are finished and had enough.... Recall him, when he comes PRAISE, take the toy, PRAISE(even give a cookie) then give the toy back to him and tell him go play!!!!! Repeat over and over again while you are outside so when it comes time for the fun to be over he won't look at it in such a bad way....(ie: my fun stops now) I practice these types of recalls with my dogs and my clients dogs all the time... Even when they are playing rough I will stop the play, call them to me, PRAISE then release and let them play again...(again repeat many times during a session)
If you have any questions go to my website and give me a call as I am a much better talker then typer and can answer any questions that way.... goodbehaviordogtraining.com

Onyx Vom Ramhausen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Zelenka Vom Ramhausen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Arild Andrej Vom Onyxhaus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Crowned Member

Stark did this once to me about a week ago.

I was in the house so it was a tad easier to work on, but still.. this was the first time since he came home that he didn't listen to a recall command.

What I did was say, Stark "heya" (my informal 'come' command) and run to where I wanted him (the kitchen). He came ZOOMING over because I got excited and made it a game. I then praised and treated him for coming. Then we did this over and over and over again outside, different places and at home. Haven't had a issue since. ***knocks on wood***

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: vomonyxhausHow about don't only recall him and take his toy when you are finished and had enough.... Recall him, when he comes PRAISE, take the toy, PRAISE(even give a cookie) then give the toy back to him and tell him go play!!!!! Repeat over and over again while you are outside so when it comes time for the fun to be over he won't look at it in such a bad way....(ie: my fun stops now)
Yup, that sounds like a plan. I did it once today without thinking about it - he came and gave me the Kong, so I praised the daylights out of him and gave it back.

Definitely in that catch-me-if-you-can phase... butthead!

Cary
NY - 10509

Eich 3/4/01 - 9/30/08 (HSA)
Rookie 4/16/09 - 7/8/16 (HSA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page