Teaching the random down. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Teaching the random down.

Any tips on how to teach this would be helpful.

Marshall has a nice heel and I would like to teach him this when the weather gets warmer...lol.

FYI...we still walk / hike in the winter but training outside is much more rare!

I'm thinking I need to get him out of the habit of sitting and then plopping down first. I don't always use 'sit' before 'down', but he seems to park his lazy butt first anyway! lol

Christian

The Brat Pack:

- GSD Marshall (10/2007)
- Adopted Collie/Terrier Jack (8/2008)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Teaching the random down.

What's a "random" down?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Crowned Member

I think you are talking about the sphinx down where the dog folds into a down from a stand.

The little vid clip shows a puppy being lured into this from a stand. The hands with food push straight into the dog and then downward at the chest toward the ground. The dog's rear slides back in this movement. It may take some trial and error to get him to do at first.

http://leerburg.com/playem.htm?name=flv/8-6-09-news.flv

I train this indoors. It doesn't take much space to do.

A random down is just a down you ask for at random. There is no prescription for how it is done but rather that the dog wll down when asked in a variety of situations or positions from or by handler.

Carla and The Pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 12:22 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

If he knows "stand" you can do drills of sit/down/stand in random order to make sure he understands every position from every other position. When I start teaching a new puppy these skills I initially use a lure like Samba suggests, for the first few tries only, then I get the food out of that hand and the lure motion becomes the hand signal. I reward from the other hand. Finally, I give the verbal cue, wait a second or two and then use the hand signal as a reminder. The verbal cue becomes a predictor for the hand signal that they already know and is associated with the behavior. Gradually I wait longer and longer (giving them time to figure it out) before I use the hand signal, and only if necessary.

In Halo's Puppy 2 class we were tested doing a sequence of sit/down/sit/stand/down/stand both with a verbal cue only and with a hand signal only to show proficiency with all 3 positions from each other position. Certain ones were definitely easier to teach than the others, so when we practiced I spent the most time on the harder ones. In your case that would be down from a stand rather than a sit. For me it was sit from a down rather than a stand. But you want to work on all the positions so he can't just assume what's coming next and do it before you ask for it, you want to be unpredictable.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks guys! I'm going to have to get out the food again! We do 90% of training now with just a tug toy...which is a lot of fun. Don't worry though...he'll still love the turkey dogs I'm sure!

In addition to knowing the positions independent of the order...

It's when the dog goes into a 'down' right out of a heel, and you keep walking on without stopping. I may be missing something there but I believe that's the basic idea. I don't do competitions but I believe it's a competition type of exercise.

Christian

The Brat Pack:

- GSD Marshall (10/2007)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 12:56 PM

That's the down in motion.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Crowned Member

Oh, that is a down out of motion or a moving down.

Either way, you will still need to teach the sphinx down first.

Thank goodness Cassidy's Mom is so good at verbalizing the progression of training. I am too lazy and a bad typist!!

Carla and The Pack
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Cassidys MomThat's the down in motion.
Thank you!!

That's the name I was looking for. Gotta crawl before you can walk...start with the down out of a stand. Should be easy enough to do indoors. Is there an easy way to lure so I can force his lazy butt not to hit the ground first...i.e. go straight from a stand to a down?

Christian

The Brat Pack:

- GSD Marshall (10/2007)

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: SambaThank goodness Cassidy's Mom is so good at verbalizing the progression of training.
I've had a lot of recent practice, so it's all very fresh in my mind, lol!

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 02:50 PM

Christian, I've played around with the down in motion with Halo, but it's still definitely a work in process and I have no idea I'm even going about it the best way, so I'll leave it up to others with more experience to describe how to train it.

But I would think that getting him to drop into an immediate down from standing position, particularly when he's at your side in heel position, would be an obvious first step before you even thing about the motion. Since he's already doing down from a sit and you want to discourage that, I would completely leave that out when doing drills, so you're only having him do stand/sit/stand and stand/down/stand sequences with maybe the occasional sit from a down tossed in for variety if you want. And mix it up so maybe it's sit/stand/down/stand/down/sit, that kind of thing. If he sits before going down, don't reward it.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page