Finding deer sheds - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Finding deer sheds

I have heard of people training dogs to do this and I was wondering how people did this? Anyone have a dog that they trained to find sheds or know how I could go about teaching my shepherd to do this?

Bams profile::[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Finding deer sheds

I'm assuming you're talking about the antlers and not hunting treestands, right?

I don't know how to train JUST deer sheds as most people I've heard teaching their dogs to do anything with deer are teaching them to track wounded deer based on their blood.

Perhaps someone more "into" tracking and trailing have ideas? Possibly train them the same way you'd train them to search out people, narcotics, cadavers, etc.?

- Shel

Handmade puppy and dog toys - Free Shipping
100% Proceeds to animal rescues -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- PICS NOW UP!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

no sorry yes they lose their horns in the winter and I spend a lot of time looking for them usually with little luck...so I though my maybe Bam my GS. I have heard of dogs doing this before.

]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks anyways lol. Also from now on I will explain a little better.

]
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 03:48 PM

Usually my dog finds them automatically when we are out hiking. You would probably have to start out by having some deer antlers of your own to teach them how to track them.

Buoyant Dog

Glory, BGSD b. 2/07, rescued (me) 2/9/09
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Yes I quite a few. I take her out to a park in town all the time where I take pictures of deer and I know there are bucks in there. We go out there twice a day usually, while i look and she runs but she hasnt found anything yet so I would like to train her to do this.

]
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Crowned Member

Someone posted about this on another forum I'm on and this link was given for training info:
http://www.outdoorlife.com/node/1000014194

I'd love to train Bianca to do this but I have a feeling if I did the training the way it is described in that link she would be following my scent instead of the deer since she'd had training in tracking already...

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 06:05 PM
Master Member

I'm sure if there were any sheds in the immediate area, he'd find them pretty quick--they're irresistible chewies to most dogs. I had a huge trophy size shed from a 10-pt buck that lived behind our house and I was keeping it as part of my nature collection; one day I came home and it was down to one big nub. My old border collie sure had a blast with it!

I just ordered some elk antler pieces, can't wait for them to come in. My two haven't even seen an antler before. I saw one for sale at the feed store, size of my thumb in diameter and 6" long. They were charging $14 for it!!

The antlers I got were $18 a pound and come in all sorts of cool shapes and sizes.

I'm a hunter and haven't yet brought home a buck, only does, but I'm definitely going to be keeping my trophy away from the rugrats when I get him!

Jessica

Nico - 3 y.o Shiloh Shepherd, CGC

Sasha - 6 y.o adopted GSD

Mojo & Neo - ferrets
Roxy, Tater & Max - adopted kitties

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Well when my boyfriend moved in she tried to chew on them and we told her no because they were from the deer he had shot over the years and since then she has left them alone. So Im wondering if she thinks she is not supposed to find them.

]
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Crowned Member

Finding shed is very much dependent on a couple of things.

First knowing where the deer like to be, look around the tree's in that area. They usually use something to help get rid of the horns, they usually don't just fall off as they are walking.

Second is when to look. They shed their horns depending on what the weather is like; hard winter under stress they will shed them early. Mild winter less stree they will shed them later.

The when to look is important as rodents and other animals will chew on them or drag them off.

Val

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page