She thinks I'm kidding - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

She thinks I'm kidding

I take Shiloh to the park every day, sometimes more than once (it's right across the street). The usual routine is I make her sit, take off the leash, and she has to stay until I say "okay". She runs around and I have her come several times because I don't want her to associate "come" just with going home.

So yesterday, when it was time to leave, I said "Shiloh, come!" and she RAN from me! She would NOT come to me. Knowking better than to chase her, I let her follow me home and she refused to go up the stairs! She would run at me and crouch, then bounce away. Oh I was SOOO mad when I finally got her inside! I struck her butt a couple times with a newspaper (first time). She hasn't been this bad since she was about 4 months old.

BTW, we were in the park for a good 40 minutes, so it wasn't like I cut her playtime short.

Has anyone else dealt with this? What did you do? I hope I didn't ruin her by smacking her...

Mom of Shiloh, 4/17/09

GO SAINTS!!!
for those who don't know, NOLA = New Orleans, LA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:41 AM
Knighted Member

Re: She thinks I'm kidding

I slip & smack my dogs bum when he bites me.
I dont think they understand it though.
You cant correct her for something she did 5 min ago.
Get some treats call her name & give her a treat when she comes!
My dog will come whenever I call him, but I kind of act like a fool if I know he is distracted!
So I start running from him and waving my arms and saying his name all goofy & high pitched!
He has a great recall now.
Just keep working on it!!

Kilo- GSD
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:56 AM
Knighted Member

Dogs live in the moment, so when you spanked her with a newspaper for being inside, you punished her for finally being inside- which is what you wanted. If you punish her for coming inside, why would she want to next time? Also, hitting a dog is never the right thing to do! She is still a puppy and might not be able to handle that much off leash freedom just yet. Keep practicing the come command with lots of positive rewards, but in a less distracting/fun situation, then work up to an off leash park and try it again.

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 10:09 AM
Crowned Member

Sounds like she still wanted to play (or be a butthead, while playing )

Make going inside a game, go back down the stairs, run around and then run up the stairs letting her chase you! Or use tons of treats or pack her favorite toy just in case you need it. Or, have a special special treat for when you get inside the house, so she'll know "if I go inside with mom, I get some yummy noms!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Elite Member

Don't feel bad, Amy, I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago. Pouring down rain, and the dog thought it was hilarious to run in circles around our yard. She must have run for 20 minutes before she was tired enough for me to try and catch her. It is really frustrating, though, and I wish that there was a way for them to have a negative consequence for running away, because as it stands she can run all she likes and not get in trouble for it.

Minnie - CGC
Tanner
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Crowned Member

Next time something like that happens take the rolled up newspaper and smack YOURSELF on the head for forgetting that she is STILL a puppy.

Mauser is going to be 16 months this Friday and he STILL sometimes does this. I tell him to come and he wants to play Catch Me If You Can.

Punishing him for finally coming to me is VERY counterproductive. It makes him NOT want to come to me again.

Instead, I simply wait him out. I stand there and wait for him to come to me and then, when he does, I give him tons of PRAISE and TREATS.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 11:14 AM
Elite Member

Frustrating but consider why they're being buttheads - more energy than they can stand, it's vibrating inside them & they are sharing that joy in life, or at least trying to - in doggy fashion

When you're on a time constraint, just keep them on a long line
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MinnieskiIt is really frustrating, though, and I wish that there was a way for them to have a negative consequence for running away, because as it stands she can run all she likes and not get in trouble for it.
What you need to do is make coming to you MORE fun than running around the yard.

Take two hotdogs out with you next time. If she starts the running thing wait until she is getting ready to swing by you and then call her name and toss a WHOLE hotdog towards her.

When she stops to snarf it down wave the other hot dog at her and call her to you. Give her the hot dog when she gets to you AFTER you have hold of her collar.

The one command I reward almost always is the Come command. I have a bowl of treats by our back door and when the dogs come in the house they get one - at LEAST 75% of the time.

I am asking them to leave a 2 acre field full of marvelous scents and loads of fun and come into the house. I can see where it would be to my bebefit to use a little incentive.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The GangNext time something like that happens take the rolled up newspaper and smack YOURSELF on the head for forgetting that she is STILL a puppy.

When you get frustrated, it is hard to remember they are still puppies. Just try to remember that during certain stages their little brains seem to fall out.....much like our human teenage children. Patience! They may know it, but it is way too much fun to keep doing what they are doing....

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: I_LOVE_MY_MIKKODogs live in the moment, so when you spanked her with a newspaper for being inside, you punished her for finally being inside- which is what you wanted. If you punish her for coming inside, why would she want to next time? Also, hitting a dog is never the right thing to do! She is still a puppy and might not be able to handle that much off leash freedom just yet. Keep practicing the come command with lots of positive rewards, but in a less distracting/fun situation, then work up to an off leash park and try it again.
Believe me, I know I shouldn't have smacked her. It wasn't inside, though, and not after she had refused the command. I finally cornered her, smacked her (the stack of newspapers for recycling just sort of happened to be handy), then brought her inside.

If I hadn't freaked out, I'd have hollered for my daughter to bring me more treats - Shiloh and I had used all of ours in the park, each time she obeyed "come". I praise her and reward her when she comes. And we practiced coming over and over last night, with plenty of praise and some treats. But no more free runs for a while.....

Mom of Shiloh, 4/17/09

GO SAINTS!!!
for those who don't know, NOLA = New Orleans, LA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page