Barking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Barking

7 month old barks at people, dogs and in the middle of the night. I don't think she is doing it to fight or be aggressive but it's frightening to people and I don't know how to handle it. I take her out when she starts barking in the middle of the night but when I bring her back in she still keeps barking. I'm ignoring her now after I bring her back in. I would like to use Positive Reinforcement. Any suggestions on how to stop all this barking?

Thanks

Dog is my co-pilot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Barking

She's young, learning new stuff everyday and she's got something to say about it. 'I'm so excited! Look at ME! I'm Here!!!'

Just try to keep it light, tell her shhh or whatever command you want to use and keep on her.

When she startles someone, apologize and laugh it off 'I'm sorry, she's trying out her big scary dog act' She'll feel your it's nothing vibe.

Doesn't do your nerves any good to know it's normal. Otto was a random nonsense barker at that age. It was really annoying!

He used to randomly bark at people/dogs when out on walks. Shhhhh silly puppy, it's just a *whatever*

He took up squirrel alerts at breakfast a few weeks ago. Nothing like a sudden deep bark before the first cup of coffee! I just keep on him, "ssssh, it's just a squirrel you silly"

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 06:47 PM

Re: Barking

Shiloh and I are working on this, too, though not in the middle of the night...she absolutely HATES the mail carrier and certain dogs that regularly walk by.

I keep treats (beggin strips) in a baggie by the door, and when she barks I say "no bark!" and show her a piece of strip. She is much more interested in the strip, so when she sees it, she is distracted from the barking, which makes me able to say "good girl!" and reward her. We go through this a couple times, then I walk to the back of the house and say "come". By the time we come back to the front the 'offensive one' is gone and the barking is over (til next time!)

I'd love to hear what other people do about barking, as I don't see this as a solution so much as a process:
1. I bark
2. I shut up and get a treat.
3. I bark again.
4. I shut up and get another treat.
5. Mommy and I go to the kitchen and do something else....

We've only been doing this for about a week, so maybe it'll eventually work.

Mom of Shiloh, 4/17/09

GO SAINTS!!!
for those who don't know, NOLA = New Orleans, LA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page