How should we go about doing this? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

How should we go about doing this?

Hunter and Sierra are five months old and Hunter can see above the gate we have up blocking them from the family room but since me and my dad step over the 28 inch gate, Sierra now jumps over it cause my dad says she sees us do it all the time which is true. I want to know now my family and I should train her not to do this. we use a squirtbottle when she jumps on us when were on the couch but she is to fast when she jumps over the gate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 12:50 PM
dOg
Elite Member

Re: How should we go about doing this?

You already trained her to jump it.

Get a taller gate, open it to go thru it.

Or much better yet, let her be with you, which is all she wants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

yes but I don't want a taller gate and we do open the door on this gate sometimes, well my mom does since she is shorter then us and I do belive if we got a taller one she we try to jump it also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Elite Member

why not just let the dogs in the same area as you?

Kaity, owned by

Vida - 6 years GSD
Hype - 3 years GSD
Cinq - 1 year bengal
Sunshine - 7 years tabby

Not forgotten, Nasa, bengal, 16 weeks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Crowned Member

Have you considered training the dog not to get on you on the sofa rather than squirting it?

Carla and The Pack
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Banned

i was thinking the same thing.

to the OP: you can't train and socialize your dogs
with them behind gates.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Kaitykaitywhy not just let the dogs in the same area as you?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Knighted Member

I too am not understanding why your dogs cannot be in the same area as the rest of your family. It is a relatively simple undertaking to train them not to jump on the furniture - or you. Having them behind a gate where they can see what is going on, but can't be part of the action is - I would guess - creating a lot of frustration. And yes, GSD's are smart, and will learn how to get around things by watching you. This problem would go away if you would take the time to train your dogs to be in the same room as you (GSD's want to be velcroed to you at all times) but without being nuisances. It really isn't hard, and there is lots of training advice on this Forum, just check the archive. Your only other option is to put up a taller gate or crate train your dogs for the times you can't be interacting with them.

Anja GSD
Conor GSD - adopted from this Board
Blue GSD - waiting at the Bridge
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Banned

this post was meant for hunter, the OP.
i agree with everything you say except the velcro part.
i can walk around my house without my dog
following me and i perfer that. i don't want a dog that follows me everytime i move or everywhere i move. i like a dog with
confidence and nerves so he doesn't have to be underfoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Anja1BlueI too am not understanding why your dogs cannot be in the same area as the rest of your family. It is a relatively simple undertaking to train them not to jump on the furniture - or you. Having them behind a gate where they can see what is going on, but can't be part of the action is - I would guess - creating a lot of frustration. And yes, GSD's are smart, and will learn how to get around things by watching you. This problem would go away if you would take the time to train your dogs to be in the same room as you (GSD's want to be velcroed to you at all times) but without being nuisances. It really isn't hard, and there is lots of training advice on this Forum, just check the archive. Your only other option is to put up a taller gate or crate train your dogs for the times you can't be interacting with them.

Anja GSD
Conor GSD - adopted from this Board
Blue GSD - waiting at the Bridge
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Crowned Member

Just let her in the family room with you. It will be better for your family and the dogs in the long run, given that you train them how to have manners. It's no fun having a dog that's not well behaved around house guests and that has to be locked away when someone visits.

Being 5 months old, they HAVE to be getting socialized right now. They need to be with your family. Get them out, walk them, take them to see new places and new things, and get them used to people.

It's probably not good for her to be jumping over the gate. She's still growing, and it could probably hurt her in the long run if you continue to allow her to jump it.

It'd be much more beneficial for everyone to let them in the family room.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 07:42 AM

Hey .02 coming in
We have a 4'X6' carpet designated as Mochas area; he can move around as long as we are all actively watching him. However, when it was time to settle down and just relax or watch TV and we did not want him roaming the house we just put him on the carpet...and the command for that was "Carpet". It took a little doing, but he learned that, that was his area. My daughter did not care for that too much, she prefered to sit or lay on the floor and have him lay next to her. Just a thought.

I'm guessing you don't care to have to watch them 100% of the time and gating them would help to make sure they stay out of trouble; just a guess.

Slow is smooth, Smooth is Fast...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page