How do you get a dog to heel like that? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

How do you get a dog to heel like that?

With his head pointing straight up (almost backward!) instead of 45 degree up that I see with most dogs heeling? Is this a malinois thing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAr1L...=youtube_gdata
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Elite Member

Re: How do you get a dog to heel like that?

looks like a Lipizaner(sp) stalion! LOL I was amazed at the spin when she turned.

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Food lure in the left hand. Then once the dog habitually holds his head in that position, the food and hand are faded out.

There's actually a video online, I think done by Mohnweise kennel but I could be mistaken on that, that shows many steps of teaching that style of heeling this way, starting with very young pups.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Chris,

So you want to hold the food directly right above the dog's head and then just drill that position into his muscle memory?

Question: once you fade out the hand, what is the dog looking at? Where does his gaze go? From that extreme upright head position, is the dog still looking at the handler's face? I can't imagine he can catch a good glimpse from that angle. Or do you teach it to look at somewhere in front of the face?
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 05:32 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

It makes for a nice collected gait which makes the front light and encourages prancing, like the Lippizaner Stallions that Betsy mentioned.

Personally, I don't like the look of it, the dog seems robotic. I think (just my musings - don't have anything to base this on), it helps to counteract the tendency for dogs to crowd the handler that is often seen in the eye-contact training type heel. Granted, I have very little experience, but haven't had any issues teaching my dogs the eye-contact heeling without the crowding (Gryff is still a work in progress - but he is getting it - I just never allow any crowding or forging, and reward quickly the right position).

I'm wondering if this head-up heeling is a fad? Or weather it will be the new standard upon which all correct heeling will be based?

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Jason,

Sorry, but I could only guess at the answers to your questions, so I won't even try. I do not teach heeling this way. I just happen to know the general method through which it is done. I'll see if I can find the video online tomorrow and that may answer your questions.

Personally, I don't like this style of heeling. I find it stylized to the point of not only being exceedingly impractical, but robotic. Yeah, I know it's the new hot thing to do at competition level, and while the dog's movement is nice and on the surface it certainly appears as if dog and handler are working in harmony, to me there is no two-way communication or connection between dog and handler in that sort of heeling... only a dog going through the paces he was taught. I want my dog either looking at me, or keeping watch of his surroundings, depending on the situation. But I don't ever want him just staring off into space.

post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Crowned Member

Deliver the reward directly over the dog's head in the "heeling lane" after you have spent the foundation time creating the behavior.
That particular dog is more forged than I would desire.

Look at Lary, pretty dogger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzIjMhZQa3Y

I don't mind heads up, stylized heeling but I am a heeling nut. I have never gotten one to be this extreme though!

Carla and The Pack
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 05:48 PM

It is Mohnwiese. Click on training on the left in the menu, select English and then free heeling.

http://www.grammozis.de/

I also think though that a certain amount has to do with conformation. Some dogs naturally likes to heel head up. Some dogs seem to prefer to turn their head in. Some dogs are more able to drop their butt to lift the front legs, others seem more like trotting horses....

Claudia Romard featured free heeling as well, but her dog does turn his head in. This video of Clip shows some gorgeous heeling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jURaEkImDWc

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 06:32 PM

Quite impressive for show...but...personally, I think it's completely impractical and a little stupid. My dog keeps her head aligned with her body, perhaps a little lower than most folks, but not with her nose to the ground. She is very perceptive of my movements using her peripheral vision. We try to keep things practical.

Buoyant Dog

Glory, BGSD b. 2/07, rescued (me) 2/9/09
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah, its for show. My dogs have other commands for different positions regarding how close to me and how attentive I expect them to be in various situations.

Carla and The Pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page