How do I teach forced fetch (e-collar training)? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

How do I teach forced fetch (e-collar training)?

First, let me start off by saying that I am not interested in a lecture about using an e-collar as a training tool or how some other method would be better for my dog. Please do not ask me why I choose to use an e-collar instead of another method.....I will not answer you and it will only derail my thread. Call me cruel, closeminded, stubborn....I don't care. I am only looking for help from people who use e-collars for training.
I have seen all the threads (bashing) about e-collars & because of the mentality around here I have been reluctant to ask for help. So, if you don't have any e-collar training advice, please don't participate.......thanks.

First, a little history on my experience.......
I have been using a dogtra e-collar for training for about 9 months. I am not sure of the model, but the levels are 0 - 127. Lobo has a working level of 7. The highest I have ever had to go was 17 when he was extremely distracted.
I bought the e-collar through a local trainer & payed for 12 private sessions with them.
My trainer has left the area, so I don't have him to talk to anymore about teaching new commands.
Typically, we have not used the e-collar when first teaching a new command. The new command is taught using praise as a reward until Lobo has an understanding of the command and then the e-collar is used to reinforce the command & make him "sharper".

Now for the question......
I want to teach Lobo to retrieve items that I throw on land or in the water (floating) & bring them back to me or carry them around in his mouth until I tell him to drop it.
I want to be able to tell him to go get something and have him bring it back to me (newspaper, soda, remote, etc...).
I would appreciate any help/advice on how to go about this.....

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Re: How do I teach forced fetch (e-collar training)?

Oh, and Lobo is an 80 lb. white GSD. He is not aggressive or overly submissive.
When we are training you can tell that he enjoys it and is very confident.

Just trying to give you guys a little bit of info on his temperment......
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Elite Member

http://www.loucastle.com

Lou has some great information on e-collar training and will talk to you as well if you are having problems, especially read the part on finding the dogs working stim level. Good luck

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Crowned Member

Yep, Lou's the man!

I keep trying to get my dogs to pick up the remote control when I drop it, but they always bring back a toy instead. DOH! (Sorry, little humor there. )
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Crowned Member

I taught a forced retrieve to my German Shepherd, Abby, who has no natural instinct for chasing and retrieving anything.

I taught this in increments - first, I taught her to take an item from my hand (then later from the ground), then I taught her to hold and carry it, and lastly I taught her to give it back to me (and later, drop it). After that, I taught her to "go get" an item that I threw and have her bring it back, building on the initial take/hold/release skills.

That said, I did not teach this with an eCollar, but maybe the general method I used and the way I broke it down could be useful to you?

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Master Member

Hi Tex,

Just kind of curious as to why you want to make forced retrieves on these items? You have to realize that training a forced retrieve takes a lot of commitment from the trainer and it is not the most pleasent activity for you or the dog. So if this is just something that you are looking at for fun, you may want to reconsider.

Art

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Crowned Member

I taught Jax how to retrieve and Art is absolutely correct. I was ready to throw in the towel the day she ran from me. Now she'll take it, bring it, drop it. She still hates "Take It" so I tell her to "Bring It" and then she thinks it's fun. My plan for her changed and I had a reason for teaching her this. But if all you want to do is play with her perhaps you could find a way that is a bit more fun than a forced retrieve.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 04:03 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I'm also curious if TX has tried a motivational retrieve and it's not working, or s/he's not interested in even trying it. Even if you're committed to training with an e-collar that doesn't mean you have to use it for EVERYTHING. I bookmarked a really cool (unedited) video where someone free shapes a retrieve with an object the dog has never seen before using a clicker and treats in about 3 minutes. This is with a clicker-savvy dog, so with a dog that doesn't already grasp the concept it would probably take a bit longer. I can post the link if you're interested.

Hope my question hasn't violated the "rules" of your thread.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 04:11 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Also, I saw in your other posts that you're working with a trainer. Why is s/he not helping you with this?

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Cassidys MomAlso, I saw in your other posts that you're working with a trainer. Why is s/he not helping you with this?
I believe the OP answers this question in the post ...

Quote:
Quote:
My trainer has left the area, so I don't have him to talk to anymore about teaching new commands.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page