"Deep" barking vs. prey drive barking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

"Deep" barking vs. prey drive barking

Along the same lines as Elizabeth's barking thread, when you are teaching your dog to bark on command, how do you get them to give that deep, full bark as opposed to the high-pitched, frustrated, prey-drive bark?

I didn't post this in the SchH section because I'm not training this for SchH, I just want to know how to flush out that serious, full bark instead of the "come on come on come on gimme that treat/ball I'm gonna get this squirrel if it kills me yap yap yap" bark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Re: "Deep" barking vs. prey drive barking

Deep barking comes from aggression. Either reactive aggression (defense) or active aggression (fight).

Both are not something an owner can easily teach a dog on his/her own, because the mental state behind that sort of barking is not one the dog will achieve in interaction with the handler. At least hopefully not.

Typically barking on command is taught through frustration of prey and/or food drive. Once the dog gets the idea, you can start encouraging more intense barking, and rewarding only the strong barking not just squeaking. But due to the mental state the dog is in, you're not going to achieve the sort of barking that comes from aggression.

Only way to do that is to stimulate aggression through some form of conflict/suspicion/threat work with another person. And even then while the dog will do it in that sort of situation, it's not going to transfer over to "speaking" for food or a toy held by the owner because the mental state the dog is in in those situations is vastly different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Elite Member

Well I guess I have a scary dog because he has a killer big bark even when he wants a toy. The neighbor is always coming out thinking something is wrong because he sounds like he is attacking. It is usually him barking because he wants me to play and I am calling it quits or he is trying to entice one of the other dogs to play. Full mouth open all teeth shown and from deep within the chest. Anyone who sees or hears it won't believe it is only in play. Good luck teaching it, Ty does it if I blow at him, or move like I am going to play, not words only yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 04:16 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Halo has always had a full deep bark. Her "big girl" bark was really incongruous coming out of a cute little puppy! Keefer, on the other hand, does the high pitched whiny prey bark most of the time. So funny since he outweighs her by 20 pounds even now, lol!

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 01:53 AM
Crowned Member

Dante rarely "big boy" barks, when he does it startles me to no end

One night, middle of the night and I wake up to his big boy bark and him standing over me on the bed looking out the window

I had a little trouble going back to sleep

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 02:04 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Cassidys MomHalo has always had a full deep bark. Her "big girl" bark was really incongruous coming out of a cute little puppy!
Celo too. Apparently his littermates all have the same deep bark and it can be traced back at least a couple generations. When he was a little guy, it was amazing to see that full voice come out of a tiny pup. He had the voice of a 150 lb mastiff.

I have to say, it IS handy. Now, I just cue him at the door when I want, and solicitors scurry down the street.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Elite Member

I did some threat/alert bark training with Teagan before she was put down, and I agree with what Chris has posted.

I'm assuming you want to train an alert bark?

Teagan loved doing it. She had a ball, even though it was serious work for her.

I know of people who have trained alert barking on their own, but I'd recommend doing it with an experienced trainer. They can set up situations properly to bring out the dog's drives (defence or fight) and help you learn what to do as well. In terms of the serious bark, Teagan was generally an excited, high-pitched barker at home, but when we were working, she was deep and serious. I don't think I could've brought that out on my own.

We used a 'watch' command and worked her in a treed area as well as in the car.

Teagan RIP
Luc 15.5 yo GSD
Neb, husky/terrier/lab? X, DOB 18.4.2008
Xerxes, beagle, ~3yo
Cats Mitch RIP; Lear RIP; Esme RIP; Timothy and Cordelia
Nikolai & Eco the bunny couple extraordinaire RIP
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: 3K9MomI have to say, it IS handy. Now, I just cue him at the door when I want, and solicitors scurry down the street.
Could you send him down here? I'm so annoyed lately with the magazines and new windows soliciations I could bark myself!

The other day someone did actually knock on my door (99.9% people use the bell) and then said something in a loud voice. Dante and I were here in the study at the time and he "big boy" barked. I praised him from here to tomorrow and only wished I had a clicker and some treats!

It was the UPS guy letting me know he was leaving a package at my door.

Dante - March 2004

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Crowned Member

Sure. I'll send him down. Oh, but you get squeaky voice -- but extremely feisty -- Meri too. They're a team.

I guess I won't send you anything UPS. They almost certainly just marked your house as "dangerous dog" and will be leaving your packages outside your fence from now on.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Crowned Member

I'm not sure the UPS man even heard, he was getting in his truck by the time I got to the door - it was a drop and run aka no signature needed

Besides I don't have a fence in the front

I'm not sure I can do a squeaky voice...but dang she's so stinkin' cute!!

Dante - March 2004

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page