How do you teach a dog too.... BARK! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

How do you teach a dog too.... BARK!

I have been trying to teach Stark to BARK with no success. When is is barking, I can get him to stop by saying, "no bark" or "enough" but to get him to start barking, is proving difficult.

He is not a barker to begin with, hardly ever barks. The only time I hear him bark is when he is playing with one dog inparticular, the other dog will play bark at him and Stark will bark back. It is only this dog, no one else.

I have even tried barking at him, but he just gives me the head tilt.. haha..

So, suggestions please?

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 12:51 AM
Master Member

Send a message via MSN to Hatterasser
Re: How do you teach a dog too.... BARK!

My huge black GSD Channie never barked either. People would come in the driveway and he'd wag his tail...period. I'd stick my head out the window and say, "Channie, strangers are coming, you're a big ole German Shepherd. You're supposed to bark. You know....woof woof." He was just a big old love who loved everyone and was the gentlest dog who only wanted to meet and greet.

I never did get him to bark unless it was in greeting his buddy, a Dalmation down the road.

Diane
Mom to Freya.
R.I.P Thor and Seamus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

We were at obedience class when he was a puppy going through some fun after class excerises (tricks mainly), and one of the cards we picked up said, "make your dog bark on command". I really tried and so did our trainer because I had no idea how too.. haha. She couldn't do it and I still can't!

He will bark occassionally if someone knocks on the door, but hardly ever. He will stand guard at the door though and stare the thing down until I release him from his sit/stay or down/stay.

I really would like to get him to bark on command.

XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Knighted Member

I barked at Elmo too when I wanted to teach him to bark on command. I felt so silly doing it and I got head tilts also.

In order to teach your dog to bark, you will need to find something that makes him bark. If our blinds are up and a car drives by, Elmo used to bark. So, I sat on the kitchen floor with him next to the window with some treats. Every time he would bark, I would give him a treat. I would also say "Speak". In about 5 minutes, he figured out what speak meant. Then, we moved away from the window and tried it in other areas around the house.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 08:01 AM
Crowned Member

I teased Doerak with his favorite toy while barking at him.

"Doerak, you you want to play, woof, woof, woof!!"

Took 2 years, though. He's not a barker.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Knighted Member

Obie is not a barker but I can get his to bark on command now. I taught it to him by barking at him and when he barked back, click and treat.

How do you bark at Stark? Where are you standing? How close?

With Obie I have to adopt a somewhat "confrontational" posture - stand very close to him, tower over him, look him straight in the eyes, in other words, really get into his face, and then startle him with a big "WOOF WOOF" and as I bark I would suddenly bring my hands to side of his face, jazz fingers style (like people do when they yell "surprise!").

Now of course you don't want to do this to a dog that's insecure or high in defense or else you'll get yourself bit. But that's not Stark so you can give it a try.

Or you can try to do it "schH" style and backtie Stark to a tree or a post and tease him with his favorite toy. Let him almost get it but not quite and when/if he barks in frustration, mark/reward him by letting him have a bite and win the toy. The key is to get him really worked up and frustrated - ready to pull his hair out kind of frustrated.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Crowned Member

We taught Grimm to "speak" on command either verbally or by hand signals, and he had it down pat since he was 5 months old.

We just told him "SPEAK!" every time he barked at something (which I guess would be hard to do if your dog doesn't bark at all!) We would do an open/close hand like a mouth when we said "SPEAK!" as well.

He associated the hand signal with "speaking" as well as the word "speak."

This is him at 5 months old - yeah the video leaves much to be desired, but it was with my cell phone:

- Shel

Handmade puppy and dog toys - Free Shipping
100% Proceeds to animal rescues -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- PICS NOW UP!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Crowned Member

I had female who would not bark on command. I tied her in the back yard and got the hose out. She loved the water from the hose. She did lock up in prey at first, but I rewarded the least little sound out of her with the water squirting. Pretty soon she figured out vocalizing made the water move. I then moved it in time wtih her barks and she thought she was very powerful...the nut!

If you can back tie him and frustrate him, then make whatever he wants move with his slightest sound, he may get it.

The Catahoula wouldn't bark except when another dog was barking. I took treats and when he barked with the others I marked it and rewarded. Then, I named it. He got it quick after that.

The puppy barks back at me when I bark so that was quicker.

Be ready to mark the first little sound and reward well! Then up your criteria.

Carla and The Pack
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks guys, I will have to wait to back tie him as I live in an apartment building and the only place to do this would be at the park (not a great idea) or our green area near the building (not a great idea either). I will have to wait until I can get to the training feild then.

I have got right in his face, barking, teasing him, but nothing. He sits there and waits to be told to "get the toy" or "okay".. darn well behaved dog!

Our older girl Beau barks on command, "who's that" is her speak command.. haha..

I'll try again, maybe video tape it and see where I am going wrong.. lol.

XX z Weberhaus
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Master Member

Can you get Beau and Stark together, and have Beau bark? My boy is not a barker either, and I recently just succeeded in getting him to bark on command, but when other dogs are around yapping their heads off, he'll get going too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page