Charging the clicker with 3 dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Charging the clicker with 3 dogs

ok...so I bought another clicker today to replace the one I lost and I was told how to properly start it. Here's the problem...or maybe it's not...

I have three dogs here that I want to teach it to...Jax, Baron (fostered dobie), Sierra...

All the dogs are gathered around me because of the treats so when I click one dog gets the treats while the other two aren't because that's the one I'm working with. Should I crate two of them while I'm working with the one so they don't get confused?

They must be thinking "Well I got a treat with a click this time but not last time"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Charging the clicker with 3 dogs

Personally I usually separate the dog I am working with because I find that easier, especially when you're first starting out.

Another thing you can do which is more complicated is get one of the clickers that makes different tones (the Clicker+ or Clickerplus) and then switch tones when you work with each different dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 05:29 PM

Crating might be a good idea to work with them separately.

Not sure how helpful this is, but I use the clicker with the cat and dog at the same time. My cat LOVES the clicker (even though I never intended to use it with her) and comes running whenever she hears me using it with Tara. I am fairly certain that Tara can clearly differentiate when the cat is being clicked (I shaped a "high-five" with the kitty) versus when I'm working with Tara. I can imagine that for initial shaping work it would be difficult to click individual dogs when all three are out.

Kristin

Tara NW1 CGC - GSD 2008
Suli - DSH 2006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 05:34 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Jax08Should I crate two of them while I'm working with the one so they don't get confused?
Yes. If I'm actively training one dog, the other dog is either out in the garage pen, or crated in the bedroom, depending on where I'm working. I do like to sometimes do a few obedience commands with both of them at the same time, but it's more informal, mostly to make sure that they'll listen to me with the distraction of the other dog there. Actual training sessions should be one on one.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Master Member

I have been using clicker training with Tuki in our jr. agility class, and when I tried to use it with Riku, he picked it up very easily without ever having to "load it". All I did was ask for certain easy commands, and clicked and treated.

When I'm training one or both of them in the backyard, I will put the one I'm not training in a down-stay on the deck, and once in awhile (assuming they are staying) will say "good stay" and give them a treat. I can imagine it can be challenging with 2 dogs in down-stays, but it may be worth a try.

Proud papa of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
. RIP Dana.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Only Jax is trained well enough to put in a stay. The other two are just following the treats. I'll crate the two I'm not working with so they don't get confused.

Thanks everyone for you input!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page