Stop digging... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Stop digging...

Maya has decided digging around my air conditioner conduits is fun and entertaining. I'm scared she's going to cut a cable and get electricuted. When I let her out I keep an eye on her and the moment she potties I praise her but she sometimes isn't interested in coming back inside. okay, fine I'll leave her outside but watch her from the windows. She was disappearing frequently by my a/c unit but I didn't think much about it till the other day when I caught her red handed digging under the conduit. I told her no and removed her from that area. It seems we had an understanding, her ears went back and she ran off. I placed some gutters (layinging along side the house) over the hole area. I just had her out a few minutes ago and watched. Again, she disappeared and I snuck out to catch her in the act and again she was in the area of the conduit. I scolded "NO" and picked her up. I observed the area and she has began another hole on the other of the gutter near the conduit.

Any thoughts or suggestions...am I doing something wrong here? I realize it takes a few times for her to screw up before she connects the dots but I'm worried she will get electricuted or seriously hurt. Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Stop digging...

Can you put like a little fence around that area??
A cheap plastic one??

Kilo- GSD
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

I could using a plastic fense but I think I found a simpler way. Placing chicken wire over the conduit. This, and I think I just need to stay outside with her. The past several days she hasn't been digging and due to the walks I recently added to her daily schedule. Today it was raining so I didn't take her and I think she had some energy she was trying to burn off in a destructive way - digging. I think tomorrow I will take her regardless of the weather and see what happens. Hopefully the chicken wire will be an added deterant.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 02:03 PM

My pup was digging around a few places in the yard and luckily it wasn't around such a dangerous situation as you faced. However, it was still annoying and she was destroying a perfectly good yard so my solution was to make her a dig pit.

Basically, I had an out of sight area where I raked out loose dirt and I allow and encourage her to dig there. Also, if she begins digging anywhere else I lead her to her dig pit and encourage her to dig there instead.

So far it works since digging is a pretty basic dog instinct it was easier to give her an acceptable avenue to channel it rather than the more difficult route of trying to train out a natural instinct.

I hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page