What is the next step? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

What is the next step?

Hey guys,

I have a few questions about current technique, but my main question is where to go next in my GSD's training? Here is a list of commands he already knows: (Notice no "down" command, I phased it out due to his HD)

Sit
Stay
Come
Heel (On Leash)
Retrieve

We have been working on these commands for about 6 months and he is really starting to master his sit, stay, retrieve, come combination. He sits, I throw the ball, say the command "GO!", he gets the ball and brings it back. We are still working on these commands while there are lots of distractions, but it is hard to get a 1 year old to ignore a house full of people! Despite his excellent progress, I am having a minor problem. He sits very slowly. I really would like to him to sit on a dime where when I say sit, his butt hits the floor quick! Currently, I say the command and there is about a 3 second delay as he slowly lowers his rear to the floor. How can I speed this action up?

So the next question is where do I go from here? My hunting dogs (labs) at the parents house are like machines, and only know 5-8 commands. Should I teach Clyde more or perfect these? I have a few things Id like to teach him, but not sure how. Any help with these and guidance on what to do next would be much appreciated.
Here are 2 things my labs do at home that I would like to teach Clyde, but cant find any resources as to how to teach him.

1. When bringing a ball back, one of my labs will actually throw the ball up into the air for my dad to catch. I dont even know where to begin with this one!

2. I would also like to teach him to respond to a point. I can hide his ball, say "Wheres your ball?" and he will go nuts searching until he finds it. However, I would like to be able to point in a direction and have him run that way to search. How?

Thanks for all of your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Elite Member

Re: What is the next step?

Quote:
Quote:Notice no "down" command, I phased it out due to his HD
Quote:
Quote: He sits very slowly. I really would like to him to sit on a dime where when I say sit, his butt hits the floor quick! Currently, I say the command and there is about a 3 second delay as he slowly lowers his rear to the floor.
How severe is his HD - until you rule it out, I'd suspect the slow sit is a function of discomfort rather than I don't wanna sit so I'm gonna sit slow.

Has he been into an otho vet? massage therapy? chiro? acupuncture? supplements? pain management? he's young so hopefully you can find a combination of these that will help him stay active & relatively pain free.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Crowned Member

If the slow sit is not pain, it may be he's not excited enough about his reward.

My dogs' rewards are food or play tug. They will sit on a dime when they know they will get one or the other. I don't have to have the toy or food on my person, they know that it's part of the game and will get some kind of reward eventually. (They hope sooner than later. LOL!)

There are exceptions. Doerak would sit in slow motion when I was holding his favorite toy. Seems he wanted to be ready to run after it and why be in a hurry if he's just going to have to leave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Vet says he is not in any pain. He is on medication and isnt in any pain, its just a little harder for him to get up from the "down" position.

The issue is strictly speed. He does seem excited about his reward, but he still goes in slo-mo

any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page