Noisy exit from the house - any ideas? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Noisy exit from the house - any ideas?

Hi - my GSD Dave is now 5 and he's a fantastic dog, he went through a change between 3 and 4 and became less sociable with other dogs, but we totally know how to manage him now and its not a problem (with the very odd exception!).

I have a question I'm hoping you can help me with: he has started being really noisy when we take him out for a walk. I think its just excitement as its not really proper barking, just whiny, yawny type of noise. It doesn't last for more than a minute or so and once you're round the corner he stops - its just pretty loud and I often take him out at 6.30 in the morning so I don't want it to start annoying the neighbours!

We never taught him to speak and as a result I don't have a command for him to be quiet. Usually putting him into a sit just stops him barking or talking, but when he's on lead going out of the back door, this doesn't work. I've tried turning around and bringing him back inside if he's noisy, but this doesn't seem to work neither does getting him to hold a toy as he just drops it.

Any ideas of other tactics I can try? Thanks.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Noisy exit from the house - any ideas?

Anna gets excited when she sees me put on my tennis shoes--she started doing the whining happy, spazzy, behavior but I just stand there, with the leash and say "calm it" and won't move until she settles--the praise and say "good calm". I make her sit before the leash goes on. I also make her sit before I open the door then the back gate. If there's any whining we don't move.

I also open the doors slowly, so if she gets up or whines I can close it easily and we start over. It takes some time, but it works.

sounds like you can make him stop whining when out, just put him is a sit and don't move till he quiets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Master Member

See the red light/green light part of this page:

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/training-dog-walk

My dog Riku has/had this problem but he is getting much better using this approach -- WAITING for him to sit (not telling him to sit) before moving forward.

It makes them want to exercise some restraint (sitting) to get the reward (walking) without being told.

An additional tip with this technique is to put him in a down stay BEFORE you start taking the steps that get him riled up. You wouldn't wait for him to sit at this point of course, because there is no indication yet that anything is doing to happen. If he starts to get excited when you put your shoes on (as Riku does), then put him into a down stay before doing that. If he breaks the down/stay, CALMLY put him back, then go back to putting your shoes on.

I found that if I do the steps of putting my shoes on, getting the leash ready, etc. before telling him to do anything, he just gets himself excited then it's much harder for him to restrain himself. Frankly, it also gets me a bit excited and or slightly anxious, that "here we go again", "why wont he calm down!" etc. If he starts to restrain himself from the get-go (the down stay), it is more likely he'll never reach the higher arousal point, and you can get the leash, put your shoes on, etc. in calmness and peace.

When opening the door (which you should do once he has decided to sit), if he starts getting up, close the door. Very quickly he'll learn to stay seated until you start the walk.

It's all about teaching him that the reward (walk) comes when he shows some self control. Don't let him out of the house when he's huffing and puffing and wound like a spring. You may also want to try the above steps, then park him at the door and wait for him to decrease in arousal somewhat, but don't expect instant miracles and don't be surprised if you have to wait 10 minutes or more.

Proud papa of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
. RIP Dana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Banned

sounds like he's excited to go out. teach him "quiet".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page