Hide & Seek - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Hide & Seek

How do you teach a dog to play hide & seek?

Bella has a favorite toy, so I think I could use it. I'm just not sure where to start!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Mom to:
Bella 2 y/o GSD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Guinness 5 y/o Bearded Collie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Henry 12 y/o Siamese
Dot 7 y/o Tuxedo Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 07:56 PM

Re: Hide & Seek

How about, hiding it in front of her, then tell her to 'find it"! Let her see you hide it, so she knows where it is initially. then start making it more difficult as she gets to know what the command means. We play hide and seek with ourselves, one of us goes and hides while Luna is occupied, then the remaining person starts asking her to go find (mom, dad) She starts roaming the house looking for us, great fun!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 09:56 PM
Banned

we play "find it" same as hide and seek. i started out by hiding something that's easy to find. a lot of times when i hid something
i would attach a treat to whatever it was i was hiding. if i used a ball i would take a rubber band and attach the treat to it. i did the same thing when i hid a wallet, tee shirt, keys, etc.

when we first started playing find it i made sure my dog could find whatever it was i was hiding. when we played indoors i would have my dog sit in the hallway while i walked a few feet away. i would take whatever i was hiding and lay it down in the doorway. my dog could see were i was hiding the object. then i started hiding things behind the door. then i started having my dog sit where he couldn't see where i was hiding things. then i started hiding things off of the ground. i would hide something in the bottom draw of the dresser, then the draw up. then in the middle of the bed under a pillow i would hide things. i just kept making harder and harder.

outside i did the same thing in the begining. i let my dog see where i was hiding things. then i started making it harder and harder. now i can leave my dog inside the house and i can go outside and hide something and he'll go out and find it.

my GF can hide in the woods and our dog will go and find her. i think my dog likes finding things. when he knows we're going to play "find it" he gets really excited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Master Member

We started with a favorite toy initially. Now we like to use those plastic easter eggs with treats inside. The dogs really enjoy this. It's the only thing that Coco can do better than Jiva.

Jiva / GSD 3 yr
Coco / MIX 8 yr
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Crowned Member

First you have to give them an understanding of what 'find it' means.

I started by simply putting the toy out in the open and saying 'find it.' When pup picks up toy (which they will), you praise the heck out of them.

Then go on to more remote spot and finally out of sight locations.

It's fun to observe how they truly 'see' with their noses. There are times I watch mine literally search in a grid like fashion - they will follow the scent even when I've spotted it by sight. Conversely, they find what I cannot see.

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! Bella needs a job to do & I'm hoping that this game, along w/some others will help fulfill the need for a job & for fun times w/mom!

Mom to:
Bella 2 y/o GSD

Henry 12 y/o Siamese
Dot 7 y/o Tuxedo Cat
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

A couple more questions... is it easier to teach this if you use the same toy each time? Also, do you use that toy ONLY for this game?

Mom to:
Bella 2 y/o GSD

Henry 12 y/o Siamese
Dot 7 y/o Tuxedo Cat
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Knighted Member

What we do is take a treat and hide, then say "OK"! And she comes and finds us. Then we give her the treat. Sometime we do it without a treat and she likes that too.

Thanks for rescuing Bella! She'll come around. We rescued our Heidi at age two and she was very fearful, skittish, and timid. Now, she's a happy and (for the most part) confident girl. She still gets spooked by sudden loud movements from people she doesn't know and loud noises, but she has come a long, long way.

Karin and Dave

Heidi, 9-year-old GSD
Adopted on 10/14/07 from:

Sheba, GSD/Malamute
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: StSteeleA couple more questions... is it easier to teach this if you use the same toy each time? Also, do you use that toy ONLY for this game?
I did it with each toy, naming the toy every time I play with it until she associated the name with the toy.

Then having her pick the toy out of several toys close by by name for each toy.

Once she knew the toys by name, and "get the toy" using whatever name she was all set.

Then doing the gradual hide and seek thing with a toy.

I the end I could have her go find any one of her toys anywhere in the house.

Then you can teach places like lap, table, different rooms. Have her go to one room and get a toy, and place it in another, or on a table..

That all takes time though. My current rescue I brought home this spring, Hope, has learned "ball", it's her only toy she knows the name of so far, by just repeating "ball!" endlessly while playing with it.

She will already go search for it on command just from playing fetch in the house, fooling her as if I thew it one way, and secretly rolling it the other way into another room and saying "find the ball!" repeatedly when she was searching for it where she thought I threw it. I had to give her a hint as to where it was at first at times, then she caught on fast.

Now I can just say "find the ball!" any time and the search is on.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 11:56 PM
Banned

i call it "find it". i started out hiding my dogs ball. in the begining i would have my dog sit and stay. then i would walk a few feet
away and lay the ball down and say "find it". then after he got the idea i started making it a little harder. i started hiding the ball the ball behind a door, under a table, in the bedroom, etc. then i started having my dog sit and stay where he couldn't see me hide the ball. i also started hiding the ball not on the floor. i started putting the ball up on things, under things, behind closed doors, etc. we play "find it" indoors and outdoors. as my dog got better at finding the ball i started hiding different things.

at some point i had my dog stay inside (with the front door closed0
and i would throw whatever i wanted him to find in my back yard, or
my neighbors yard, front yard. i started hiding things by throwing them because i didn't want my dog following my scent to whatever
i was hiding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page