Former outside dog...teach to take gentle and down - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Former outside dog...teach to take gentle and down

This is my foster dog. He was an outside dog and I am guessing he has had very little people contact. We have had him for about a week and we are having trouble with him being mouthy and grabbing things out of our hands.

I watched the video someone suggested on a post below - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipT5k1gaXhc

BUT

his mouth is not gentle like the dog in the video. he is NOT aggressive or trying to hurt us, but just wants the food or toy. we do have him sit before he gets any food or toy, which he is doing wonderful with, but as soon as we try to give the food or toy, his mouth is on our hands.

also, the only way i know to teach down is to have the treat in your hand and bring it straight down from the nose. obviously this method doesn't work for us because he is grabbing it. do you have another suggestion for teaching down.

thanks so much

Cindy M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Former outside dog...teach to take gentle and down

give him some time
if he grabs forcefully take away and so no
he will get it .

My lab same way and she now takes things gentle.
be patient and lots of praise he will get it

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Crowned Member

I'd guess he just needs to learn you're there, the attention is there and there is plenty of food.

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that he was/is very underweight so I am also hoping that with regular meals he starts to calm down a bit on his own.

Cindy M
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 01:03 AM

Treat him like you would a new puppy. a baby, Retrain. Is he food aggressive? Does he give you Focus ? Look you in the eye ? start with little tiny treats. 5 mins through out the day (raw hot dogs or Bil Jacs for little dogs. (liver treats) use those treats to praise him. the first time for a day or 2 just sit in a room, say YES, and give treat. After that every time he looks you in the eye, Say "YES !" and reward. (dogs attention span is 1.3 seconds. Yes is fast, & positive) if he is grabby (mouthy, JAWS-the movie) ball the treat in your fist and tell him in a calm voice "easy", slowly open your hand with the treat. (use rubber surgical gloves or not to thick garden gloves) I have a jaws myself. she goes for the treats, her lips roll back from the teeth, teeth extend out and eyes roll back .. like a Great White SHARK !!!!!. but be consitant, patient. he's new. Good Luck

Lead by example. Integrity is doing what is right even when no one is looking.

J R Marean
Yarest Von Wilhendorf - 11/03/2010
Dame der Gerechtigkeit Vom Haus Juris - 07/2009
Wolke Vom Mattenburcherland - 04/2006-07/2009 RIP (my love)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thank you so much. I will try all of this.

He has excellent focus on the food or the toy, but i hadn't thought about getting him to look at me.

He is not food aggressive at all, but he is like a puppy where he doesn't know any better and he just tries to take whatever food he sees. We've been really working with him, teaching him that if he wants something he has to sit first, which is working really well. Now we just need to work on the easy because yessss it is like jaws... this huge german shepherd mouth full of teeth coming at you lol!

Cindy M
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Crowned Member

You know, if they are too thin, I don't try to teach them anything in terms of taking nice or making them wait for their food-I think there is too much anxiety around food for them, so I toss it or feed them by hand like you do with a horse with the flat palm. I hate to have food be a stressor.

That's just me! I am really slow/crazily patient in dealing with dogs when they first come to me-maybe too slow!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 04:02 PM

Something else that might help get his mind away from the food and more on you...you might try to teach him "leave it".

My fosters alway tend to be grabby because of the lack of food/attention in their previous lives. I think teaching them "leave it" while the food is still in your hand gets their focus more on you and less on the food...eventually saving your hands from future pain!

Obviously, you can't do the traditional "leave it" where the food is on the ground and they don't snatch it, but you could ask them to at least not try to steal it from your hands.

I always put food in my hand and ball it up in my fist. They will usually try sniffing it and maybe even mouth it. Once they back away and look at you, say "Yes/Good" and maybe try letting them get the treat from your flat palm (like a horse). Repeat, repeat, repeat!!

Also, teaching "Easy" as already suggested will help!

Krystal

SOUTHEAST GERMAN SHEPHERD RESCUE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page