how do i train my gsd to search - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

how do i train my gsd to search

i have a 6 month old gsd her name is dixie what im wanting to do is teach her to search things or people by scent i have been using my son as the gunie pig by me holding her with me petting her and keeping her attention and having him run and hide but what happens is she will walk around a lil but if she cant see him she will come back to me like oh well i cant find him i want to train her to use her nose not just her eyes im not in to al lthe competitions i got her for a companion and friend for me and my son im a volunteer firefighter and though maby she could help out if the need ever arised
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Crowned Member

Re: how do i train my gsd to search

basically you need to start off with runaways like you are doing now. make her want to go find your son.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Instead of petting her you want to hold her collar and "rev her up" by letting her see your son running off. Have your son wave his arms, calling her and get her all excited (with her favorite toy is a bonus) as soon as he ducks to hide he should be quiet and you let her go excitedly telling her to search, go find or whatever you want to use. When she gets into him have him praise her and then play with her with her favorite toy.

Not all dogs have the drive/interest to search but this method should work if she has any inkling for the task.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Knighted Member

She first needs to know what you're wanting. the way I start off my search pups is I want them to see me run off. Once I hide in some tall grass or behind a tree I still call their name when the person holding the dog is getting the dog all excited about coming after me. Then you let the pup go.

CGC Evaluator/ Free testing for Rescue dogs

Klenien Hain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

U-CD Nomex vom Gebirgshaus SAR,BH,TD-2,VCD2,RAE,CDX,MXJ,AX,VER,NAP,NJP,CGC ( Retired )
Enzo z Blitz vom Kleinen Hain CGC NA,NAJ,OA,OAJ,AX,BN,CD
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the tips she comes when called and i think i seen her stalkin a gofer yesterday she looked neat doin it she was literaly crawling on the ground and then she jumped up and took off runnin barkin about 10 feet and then looked around like where did it go i was watchin on the porch she looked at me like did you see where it went it was kind of funny
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 03:53 PM

My dad was teaching my childhood GSD this as a game before he was killed.

He used to do the same as everyone has already suggested, but he would always make us give him an article of clothing (previously worn sock, shirt, etc.) that had our scent on it so he knew who he was looking for. When we would go "hide", he would get Buddy all excited and before he would let him loose to find us, he would make Buddy smell the clothing (put it right in his face so he had to get a good wiff.

Then when Buddy found us, we would do a lot of praise and give him an Oreo cookie as a treat for a job well done. (At the time, we didn't know chocolate was bad for him...and he LOVED them)

It got to the point that if we didn't have the Oreo, he would give us a dirty look and leave us in the woods where he found us! But it was a lot of fun!

Krystal

SOUTHEAST GERMAN SHEPHERD RESCUE
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

ok our first training session lasted 5 minutes we searched 3 times the first time he ran away flappin like a bird calling dixie dixie i held her collor and was askin her you want to go get him lets go get him and i had a shirt he was wearing this week i figured it would help what she did was lay donw on her back and look up at me like what do you want so i heard him get quiet and let go of her color and said go get him she rolled over and shot off and just ran past him 2 times i didnt see the path he took but she didnt sniff the ground once she eventualy found he he steped on a stick lol whele behind the tree

2nd attempt i told him dont run so far just go out strait like you did before and and duck behind of of the trees out there

i was holding her color and she turned upside down again and looked at me while im trying to rev her up i let her go when i see him hide and tell her go find colton (my sons name) she jumps uo runs strait past him then turns and passes him again then she sees him and goes to him lol now i told him once she finds him to pet her and tell her she found him and she is a good girl

3rd attemt ok i gother by the color again she is laying on her side this time i tell him take off across the field and duck behind the pine tree beside the travel trailer so he takes off flapping and calling her but this time i let her go when he got to the trailer just before he duckd bahind the tree and i told her the same thing go find colton had her sniff his shirt all 3 times this time she went strait to him
he praised her and come back told me she was there before he even got hid good lol

and then she lost intrest she is an out side dog and has her own chair on the porch i called her back he was filling her water bowl and cleaing it out and i told her go find him she went toher chair and curled up and layed down gave me that look like he is 3 feet from you yo go find him lol

i want to make sure im not doing an of this the wrong way she is only 6 months old and still kind of clumsey which is cute in its own way
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Knighted Member

???? what is her reward for making big effort to track?Might want to start with short trail with food treats along the track.Are you alongside to correct -praise -encourage.If you only want a dog that finds family members as a game maybe OK.Just decide what the reward for the dog will be. hate to say but dogs are just like people in thinking -WHY would I do that?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

like i had said in the first post im wanting my ultimate goal for her to be able to seach out someone by scent i was told in a previous post i had to teach her what it is im trying to get her to do first by having her look for my son and watch him run away from her calling her so she knows she is supposed ot find him i figured once she gets the hang of that ill have him stop calling her and justrun away to hide flapping his arms once she gets that ill have him just run and hide quietly and see how she does with that i also use one of his shirts to let her smell prior to releasing her
i hadnt thought of running along side her to encourage her but as far as her treat when she finds him he praises her with petting and telling her you found me your a good girl this is her first type of training like this i used the peting and good girl method when i was teaching her to come when called and it worked

she is an agressive dog when it comes to people food im not sure how to go about giving her a food type treat without getting bit cause you can hear the teeth when she snaps her mouth shut and i know if my son sees me try to give her a treat he will and even though he is 14 i realy would rather not get him bit trying to do what dad does

i invole my son in her training and care because i want her to for lack of a better word respect us both they play together all thetime she chases him all over the field we live on 10 acers and i am sure they have explored it all and also ultimatly if someone came on our land in a threatening manner id like for her to be a protector of sorts for him i probably need ot get her in to a class but from what i have seen there is none in my area with out driving a long ways off i live in east texas and i am a single dad and money is tight right now so im trying to teach her all i can on my own for now
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: dracolis
she is an agressive dog when it comes to people food im not sure how to go about giving her a food type treat without getting bit cause you can hear the teeth when she snaps her mouth shut and i know if my son sees me try to give her a treat he will and even though he is 14 i realy would rather not get him bit trying to do what dad does
Is she aggressive or just excited? You can teach a dog to take treats from you gently, and it's a useful skill to teach her, especially if anyone besides your family may ever want to give her something. You don't want her nipping a little kid. The game you're playing sounds like an exciting game for a dog though so even then she might get overexcited and get a finger while going for a treat. You can offer a treat on your flattened palm to avoid her "failing" to be gentle.

I don't have any help for the search training, but here are some links for training to take treats.
http://trainingunleashed.com/dog-pup...e-food-gently/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipT5k1gaXhc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page