Ginger and her biting habit - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Ginger and her biting habit

I have had Ginger for about 5 months now. When I first brought her home she would nibble on my hand or arm to get attention, I did the whole ignore and redirect thing and it worked. She stopped biting or nibbling when she came up to me to be pet. However now she has started biting when we play, again I have tried to redirect her attention, but that is not working.

Would a muzzle help? Any ideas for me? This is getting out of control, she isn't biting hard, but is now starting to do this with my daughter, which is not OK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Ginger and her biting habit

What type of playing are you doing with her when she bites?

I taught my guys to watch my hands during tug by yelling "IPE!!" when they made contact with skin and ending the game right there.

Didn't take them long to put the two together - contact skin = end of game.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Banned

Sometimes "Yipe" or "Ow" doesn't work very well - as with my now 23 month old male. He has been a mouther (not biter) ever since he was a little puppy (7 weeks!). Sometimes it works to stop him and then he will lick! But he will mouth again the next time also. Doesn't ever bite to where it hurts except if he is trotting when he mouths your hand then a little bit.

just a mouthy dog - have tried trainers advice and even an animal behaviorist - improvement but not complete.

A doggy personality twist I guess. other than that very gentle - can cut his nails, touch anywhere on him, hold his paw etc. no reaction even hug him and no squirming or anything BUT still likes to mouth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: codmasterSometimes "Yipe" or "Ow" doesn't work very well - as with my now 23 month old male. He has been a mouther (not biter) ever since he was a little puppy (7 weeks!). Sometimes it works to stop him and then he will lick! But he will mouth again the next time also. Doesn't ever bite to where it hurts except if he is trotting when he mouths your hand then a little bit.

just a mouthy dog - have tried trainers advice and even an animal behaviorist - improvement but not complete.

A doggy personality twist I guess. other than that very gentle - can cut his nails, touch anywhere on him, hold his paw etc. no reaction even hug him and no squirming or anything BUT still likes to mouth!
This is exactly what Ginger is doing, she will start mouthing I say no she then licks... which is fine...

The next time around its the same thing again, starts getting mouthy then stops when I say no... Thats why I wonder about a muzzle, ever time she gets mouthy put it on her for 5 minutes or so?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Banned

I wouldn't use a muzzle for that. Baron is slowly cutting down the number of times he does it so I am hoping that he will quit entirely some day. Once in a while i have to admit it really irritates me and i will give him a sharp "NO"! Doesn't usually help much but I do feel better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page