Leash problems and a prong collar - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Leash problems and a prong collar

Overview. Four year old rescue GSD. Great dog, very smart. I've been able to teach him everything with the exception of leash walk. We live in Vegas. He's has, for the past three years, been walked/driven a short distance to the desert and let off his leash. He's always pulled on the leash, but I put up with it because it was only about a 1/2 mile. The return trip was easy because he was tired out from chasing lizards and rabbits. He's very good off leash. Never goes more than 50 yards from us, watches us dutifully and returns when called.

What's changed. Rattle snakes. They're really out in force this year and I know if he finds one he'll be in trouble. (He went face to face with a coyote last month - peaceful resolution) As such I've been trying without success to leash train him. (He'll need to stay on the leash until it gets colder consistently around here) I've tried the turnaround when he pulls, the act like a tree, and the use of treats. NOTHING WORKS and believe me I've tried. My wife can't even walk him anymore as he's become too strong. So.....I'm looking for someone to tell me it's okay to use a prong collar without the feeling of guilt for my next training method.

Love my dog. Hate to walk him. Need some help. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Leash problems and a prong collar

I use a prong collar on my dogs. I prefer them over a regular choke chain any day. They look like midevil torture devices but when used properly cause minimal discomfort during a correction, which is nothing compared to a snake bite, rabies form a coyote or the stitches from the fight.

Please make sure to have it properly fitted by a professional, not the check out girl at Petsmart, and maybe take an obedience class to help with healing.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Banned

how about getting a trainer and then a prong if necessary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 01:12 PM
dd
Crowned Member

I was looking at a prong - ended up with an Easy Walk Harness which works GREAT.

Check this thread:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubb...rue#Post1221539

dd

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Master Member

I use a prong on Beau because he is eighty Muscular pounds. He can take me with him if he wants to chase something and not on a prong. Lainey has the Easy Walk harness which I love.

Kim (MSPCA Vol.), Lainey (Lainey Express Destiny Ryanhaus) and Beau (formerly Booker GSD/Lab?- Rescue)

(At Rainbow Bridge) Vegas- Our Gentle Giant R.I.P. 2000-2008 Meisha - Moo Moo R.I.P. 1990-2000-All GSDs
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 02:33 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Prong is fine for this kind of situation - they are a good and safe way to ensure control.

There are many options for your if you are only looking for a short-term control solution - worth checking into other people's reccomendations, and see what your dog accepts and responds to the best. Though I only have personal experience with the prong collar (I swear by them - for SOME situations), I know that many people are very happy with the results they get with harnesses and head-collars.

Another thing that might work for you is a flexi-type leash. I have found that when I adopted my rescue she pulled my arms off leash walking, but was very good on a flexi leash. Seems that a little bit more freedom the longer leashes offer is enough to satisfy some dogs. Same thing with a puppy I had - loved to pull on the six foot leash, but did very well at staying withing the range the flexi offered and respected the "end" of the leash.

I always use the "Flexi" brand leashes, made in Germany. They are of very good quality and put up with a lot of abuse. Haven't tried any of the other brands - I worry that they may not stand up to the wear and tear a large strong dog could put them through.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Crowned Member

If you buy a flexi leash please make sure to buy the appropriate size! I did my capstone project on a leash that had failed due to being undersized and the dog darting after a rabbit. It's amazing the flying pieces didn't blind someone.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:it's okay to use a prong collar without the feeling of guilt for my next training method.
Yes!

IMHO, it's far better than tug o' war.

Both my dogs are walked on prong collars and you only have to watch their joy when they hear me jingle the collar to know it's not a torture device.

You want to fit it properly and use it correctly.

http://leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm

now learn to give a quick correction and let dog have slack right after. The idea is for your dog to feel the tiny (hate to say it this way, but think of Mom correcting puppy behavior) 'bite' when he/she forges ahead.

Never should they just pull along on it -- they will try that if you don't use the little correction instead.

I use a quick correction and say 'by me,' and go on.

So I have two GSDs (85lb & 75lb) walking peacefully close to me on loose lead,,

The other method I've seen accustom a dog to the prong - and it works - is to properly fit the collar and then start out but turn frequently giving a little correction at each about face. They learn quickly to watch your feet and stay by your side.

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Crowned Member

There is nothing wrong with using the pronged collar on any dog.I use it on both dogs,65lbs and 33lbs.The little one will literally choke herself if being walked without one.The other option is the Halti collar.
I don't like the Flexi leads unless you have total control over the dog and you are out in the open.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: AllieGboth dogs,65lbs and 33lbs.The little one will literally choke herself if being walked without one....
I don't like the Flexi leads unless you have total control over the dog and you are out in the open.
Me too! Sierra is 42 lbs and will go to the end of the choke collar until she is gagging and wheezing. She will NOT stop. I put a prong on her. She jumped in the air like a ballerina on crack for two minutes then settled right down. She will still pull on the prong and pinch herself but she isn't doing the damage to her trachea that she does with the choke.

As far as Flexi leads I've seen alot of ppl with small dogs that seem to think they are the best thing since Wonder Bread. Right until their dog goes under my German Shepherd, who looks at me like Mom!! Get this thing away from me!!!, while the owner is panicking. Duhhhh...get your dog under control!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page