"speak" question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

"speak" question

I was outside playing frisbee with Vinny and we were goofing off when I found out that if I say "ruff" to him he will bark as an answer. Not every single time but enough to know it's not just coincidence.

I'd like to use this as the beginning of teaching "speak" and "quiet" but am not sure how to progress from "ruff" to "speak" since I prefer not to have to bark at him to get an answer. haha

Suggestions?

~Sandi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Elite Member

Re: "speak" question

I taught Bison to "speak" by saying the word "speak" short and clipped like a bark. I would get him rilled up then when he final barked, then I would say "Good speak" and give him a treat. Just repeat exercise and eventually he won't have to be "rilled up" before he will do it.

Now the "quiet" part... You will have to wait till someone esle chimes in. He has to comment on EVERYTHING. "Quiet" is not in his vocabulary.

Amy
Bison (Indo vom Triton) CGC
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- God/Dog Blog
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 11:06 AM

Re: "speak" question

Ruthie, I think you have the right idea. Consistency is the key. I taught my dog to speak by putting him in an environment where I knew he would bark, telling him to bark and treating him after he did bark. In my case, it was putting him around another dog. Doing that for a week or so lead me to issuing the command anywhere and then treating him, gradually reducing the treats to pats on the head and "good boy" exclamations. The quiet part is a little more difficult, although my dog doesn't bark much unless he's in a confrontation with another dog. For that, I use the word "hush" while touching his muzzle. That normally works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page