How to teach to not grab things out of hands - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

How to teach to not grab things out of hands

How do you teach a dog that things in your hands are off limits? If Jackson is acting interested in something I am carrying I tell him "no" and he is pretty good for the most part, but sometimes he just lunges and grabs & it hurts! I worry about allowing him to play with children because he may try to grab his toy out of their hands.

Jen
Mom to:
Forrest, Golden Retriever, born 2/02
Jackson, GSD, born 10/22/08
Sundae, cat, born 4/25/95
Magnum, GSD, 5/94 - 2/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 09:01 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Mandalay Send a message via Yahoo to Mandalay
Re: How to teach to not grab things out of hands

I would think you could teach that NO food come from your hands...it either gets tossed on the floor or tossed in the air for him to catch.

Wait and leave it work well.

In the CGC class last week, the instructor was holding a piece of food in her hand and let this one puppy smell, lick, and try to pry her hand open, but the dog only got the food (a different piece of food actually) when she finally left the hand alone. I watched her do this and within a few minutes the puppy had the idea. I did something like this with Mandi by teaching her to take it "nice" so she would not grab things out of my kids hands.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Mandalay, GSD, CGC, DOB 01-31-08
Mazy, White Boxer, DOB ? Sometime in 2010 we think
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:10 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Re: How to teach to not grab things out of hands

This is a wonderful video showing impulse control exercises using food: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipT5k1gaXhc

I started doing this with Halo when she was just a baby, she would eat entire meals this way. I also teach my dogs that in order to get a toy they have to sit and make eye contact until I release them to take it. We practice with a tug, giving it up on command (stick a treat right up to the nose when you give your command, then mark when they let go of the toy and let them have the treat), then waiting for them to sit and look at me before I say "okay" and let them have it.

Here's the same trainer using a toy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzqs5...e=channel_page

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page