Focus next step - Am I doing this right? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Focus next step - Am I doing this right?

Jax will watch me when she's sitting but seems to have trouble walking and watching...good thing I never gave her bubble gum...so I put her in a heel and walked, I held a handful of treats over her head so she would have to look at them but would also be in the correct position to look at me.

I use "Watch" instead of "Focus" so everytime I said it and she looked even remotely up I gave her a treat. She never looked at me but it seemed to be a start to getting her nose off the ground and paying attention to what was going on. Am I doing that right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 09:24 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Re: Focus next step - Am I doing this right?

Are you trying to teach a heel with focus like in Schutzhund, or just to get her to pay more attention to you on walks?

I don't care about an attention heel because I don't plan to compete, but it's nice if they are aware of me at the other end of the leash and look at me occasionally. I taught "watch" mostly with the dog in front of me, so I had to work on getting it with the dog sitting in heel position before I could even start adding movement. I used a clicker and actually just waited for eye contact with the dog sitting at my side, and then marked and rewarded it. Over and over and over again. I also did some work cuing it from that position so they understand the command means the same thing no matter where they are in proximity to me.

For attention heeling there is a great post by Melanie that talks about how you build it just steps at a time. But what I did was continue to mark and reward on a walk whenever it was offered freely. It's difficult for a dog to maintain that kind of focus for long distances and I don't need it for any reason so I haven't spent a lot of time on it. But I have noticed that Halo will do it naturally if I hold both hands together at my waist, because when I was working on heeling with her in class I'd have the treat bag on my right and I'd grab a treat and pass it to the left hand to deliver. So when when I'm holding my hands that way, either with a treat in them or without, she will walk several steps with me in perfect heel position with good focus.

ETA: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...=1#Post1206281

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks!! I'll read that tomorrow morning with my coffee! I need her to focus for Rally and Agility. Her focus is terrible. She's all over the place so once I get to the point where I'm taking her out around ppl I better have Angus New York Strip for her.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 09:35 PM

Meatballs.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 09:38 PM

BTW, you don't need an attention heel for agility because she's going to be working away from you a lot, but she DOES need to look to you for guidance and follow your direction, which you'll learn once you start classes.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

We are in classes but her focus is terrible (second summer). She's just all over the place. There are days that she is incredible and then there are days where everything else is soooo much more interesting and then there are the days that she just picks her own obstacles.*L*

I"m more interested in focus while we're in motion and I think you sent the perfect post for that! Thank you so much for finding it!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

We're still working on focusing in motion but I was so proud of Jax over the weekend. I was getting apples at the local farmer's market and picking thru to find the smaller ones that will go right thru my processor for applesauce. It was fairly busy in there with ppl coming and going around her, cars going by, kids running around. she was on one side of the big wooden crate that holds the apples and I was on the other. I told her to Watch and she never took her eyes off me. Woohoo!!! She's learning it!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page