roll over shake and "dead" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

roll over shake and "dead"

I wanted to know how anyone has taught their dogs to do this and how they teach them to. Thank you. I could not find any posts for it so i need help!!!! Thankz

Mommy to:
Jackson: 22 month old GSD
Millie: 11 years GSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Re: roll over shake and "dead"

He kinda knows dead but i would like him to learn stand also. THANKZ

Mommy to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Crowned Member

Does your dog know how to lie down? If so, then take your treat and lure his nose ACROSS his front leg and AROUND his shoulder. Most people just bring the treat to the floor for a play dead and that causes him to get up or squirm to get the treat. When you lure him across and around, he'll likely follow (it will take a few times til he figures out what you want. Keep your treat close to his nose and keep at it). Once he gets on his side, then put the treat on the floor so his face is flat on the floor. THEN give him the treat.

After a couple of tries, it will be one sweeping move. If he lifts his head, don't treat. His nose has to be flat on the floor. Once you have this, depending how advanced your dog's thinking and obedience skills are, you can start him off at a sit and give him the play dead command. You may need to lure him into the down and then through the play dead movement a few times so that he understands you want him to do it all together. A lot of people start off giving "Bam!" as the command, from the very beginning. This way, as you advance, you can then pair it with it the "gun" hand signal, which a lot of people find cute.

To roll over, once your dog is in the play dead position, you just lure him to roll to the other side. Be sure you're working on carpet or a rug for this. Some GSDs have bony backs and have a hard time rolling at first, so if they're trying to roll to follow the lure but are having a hard time, you may need to push them along and over. One of my dogs -- a large male -- couldn't tweak his back quite right to get the rolling action, so he used to grab on to my hand and push off on that with his paws until he developed the ability to do it on his own. So you'll want to be flexible with your dog's physiology.

Puppies can a lot more flexible of course,both in their bodies and how fast they grasp a new behavior. My 3 month old pup already knows play dead (we call it "take a nap" and roll over. I taught these in one evening, and after sleeping on it, he mastered them the next day.)

One more thing, most dogs naturally roll one way or another better (that includes on the play dead too). If you're not getting anywhere trying to roll your dog to one side, try the other. Once you find one direction that works, stick with that for a while though. Let him learn that thoroughly before you change directions on him.

With regard to shake, some often lift a paw (often it's a sign of deference), especially if they want something. If yours does, click and/or mark it with the word "shake" and reward. If yours doesn't you can hold a treat at his nose and lift it higher. At some point, one of his paws will usually go into the air. Touch the paw and mark it with the word "shake" and a reward.

If neither of these work, you can just lift your dog's paw into the air with your hand, tell him "good shake" and reward. It's easier and often faster to teach shake when your dog is already naturally offering the behavior, but I had a dog that didn't offer her paw, and I was able to teach her to shake by just taking her paw and rewarding her for it.

Have a great time! Tricks are great because they make learning fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:27 PM
Crowned Member

Stand is pretty easy. When your dog is sitting, take a small piece of food that smells good, put it into your hand, holding it in your fist between your index finger and thumb, so that just a tiny piece sticks out. Put your hand (the food) right in front of his nose and lure him up and forward. In a true stand, your dog simply stands (taking one step forward. He doesn't take a bunch of steps.) As soon as he's fully standing up, open your hand and give him the treat.

Once he's mastered that, then you can do the same thing from a down position.

The hand signal that I use for a stand, then, is a closed fist in front of my dog. I stop using a lure pretty quickly (though I still reward my puppies and young dogs with the other hand). But the hand signal is clear and not easily confused with other signals.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Elite Member

Yay, something I know.

I first want to say I am definitely not an expert.
I taught my boyfriends sisters dog how to shake and how to play dead.

Shake is the easiest so I will start with that. You want to get your dog into a sit. Next, give him the command "shake" or "paw" and wait. As soon as one of his paws starts to lift up. Say yes and Treat him. You want to repeat this a few times. He should slowly be offering it a little more once he realizes what you want. I was able to teach this to a lab poodle mix in a day. My explanation wasn't the best I guess, but maybe some other could add more detail.

For playing dead:
1.You will be doing this in chunks. First you want your dog in a down. Once he is down give him a command/ hand signal/both. For me i mimicked a gun and I said bang bang. Then you wait for him to go from a proper down to his legs out to the side a bit. As soon as he does this, you say yes, and . Repeat the command again when he is placed in a down a few times. After he can consistently have his legs to the side, ask for more (so to speak).

2. Now instead of just the back legs out to the side, he has to be on his side. Repeat this for a few minutes. Its also good to take breaks in between all the chunks. Once he has this down, its on to the next step.

3. This time when you give him the command, and he goes on to his side, wait. He needs to put his head down on the ground. It might take a few tries. But again any movement in that direction gets treated. Repeat this a few times until you can get him to lay on his side with his head on the ground from a down. And at this point, you want to progress to having him start from a sit. Tell him to sit and then give him you dead dog command. He should eventually work it out in his head and figure it out.

4. Finally I would progress to a standing position. When you give your command he should be going into position so to speak.

Keep in mind, this trick would be better if taught in a few days. Trying to cram all the steps in one day is a bit much. I think anyways. Good luck

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

thank you sooo much.. i will try that

Mommy to:

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

I think i will try a little tomarow..thank you all so much

Mommy to:

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Crowned Member

On the rollover, I wasn't perfectly clear, lure at his nose and the rest of his body should follow...After following your lures for the play dead, he should have a clearer idea of what you want, but it may take a few tries (and a few gentle pushes of his shoulders by you) til he understands that he needs to move more than just his head.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Elite Member

When I taught Sigurd "shake", it took me about 2 days. I would say "shake" and grab his paw, and then say "Good boy!!" and treat, and then after a day he got the hang of it, he'd automatically give me his paw when I said "shake". So when he would lift his paw after the command, I'd get even more excited and "Oh you're such a good boy!!" and give him a bigger treat. It was really rewarding that he learned so quick!

I think it's his favourite trick... when he wants something he will sit, look at me, and keep shaking... it's adorable.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 01:11 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Halo has a really good "gimme paw" command. I shaped it by putting her in a sit and then using a treat to lure her slightly off balance so she'd raise the opposite paw slightly, then I marked it and delivered the treat. (You don't want them to try and get up, just lean a bit to the side). Next step, I added the command, and I'd grab the raised paw for a second before marking and releasing it. It still wasn't perfect though, the paw was just a couple of inches off the floor, but I found that giving the command and using one hand to push a little at her shoulder to tip her off balance helped give her the idea, because in order to raise her paw up high enough to shake she had to learn to shift her balance onto the other leg. At the same time as I was tipping her, I held out my other hand for the raised paw. That seemed to be the "aha!" moment, and she started leaning to one side and raising the other paw high enough to put in it my hand when I gave the command.

Now I can either say "gimme paw" or just hold out my hand, and she'll slap a paw into it. Very cute!

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page