leg weave? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

leg weave?

I want to teach Nikon that trick where the dog weaves in and out of my legs as I walk. Anyone know how to do this or backchain this? I will use a clicker and food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 09:32 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Re: leg weave?

Jamie and Risa do this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 10:49 PM
Crowned Member

A gal at my Rally class does this with 1 of her Aussie's & it's cool. I thought of trying also. Sable will go through my legs, but I'm yet to try & walk. Storm................ well he's too tall I think & will get stuck if he tries to go under me & I have long legs !

~Jen~

Sable~ GSD NJP, OJP, NAP, NAJ, NA, TN-N, NAC, NJC, CGC
Shadow~ BGSD *Adopted* RN, CGC
Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 03:16 AM
Knighted Member

I've taught this to several of my dogs - works best on the chows, because I don't get high-centered .. *L* .. but even Trick did it when she was younger.

I've used a couple of methods for teaching this. One is to free-shape by teaching the dog to go through your legs, usually by standing in an area where the dog has to go through your legs in order to reach the other side - mark the behavior and reward until you get it on cue, and then go from there. It helps if you start out with your legs in stride (one in front of the other) as the picture to the dogs is different if you're standing square in front of them. The less you have to change later, the better. Practice both with your left leg forward and your right leg forward. I used the same command for both, because I looked at it as "weave through my legs" and which leg to weave through was indicated by which leg I had forward.

Another method is to lure through with food. As with all food lures in training, you have to wean off of the lure and some dogs become really dependent on the hand gesture - and in all honesty, when you have to wave your hand around in front of your crotch or behind your butt, it distracts from the beauty of the trick (heard someone call it "wiping yourself"). I try to avoid the luring as much as possible and do either free shaping or tossing the treat instead of holding it.

If your dog does a "touch" to your hand, you can use that to your advantage but again, your dog can become to dependent on it so you want to fade the hand cue as quickly as possible. Another option is to use a touch stick, which allows you to remain standing upright and direct the dog easily.

If you start from the beginning and teach the dog to go through and then forward, it's quicker in the long run to get them set up for the next step. Also, when you step forward, touch your toe to the ground and let the dog go through your leg, then put your whole foot to the ground and bring the next toe forward. It looks much nicer, gives the dog more room, and just works better overall.

Now, the really difficult trick is to teach your dog to weave through your legs while backing up! I started Khana on this (she's a backing fool) and she was doing pretty good - we were working in freestyle and she could do pivots from both a right-heel position and a left-heel position, so using those commands helped her understand which way to shift her rump. But when I got more sore we gave up on that. I have a tough enough time walking without my dog weaving through my legs these days .. *L*

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

Positive 1ST! More reward, less correction makes a GREAT trainer.
Chows: Khana CD RE SD & Dora NA NAJ GSD: Tazer SDIT
RIP *Trick*Kylee*Dawson*Lady*
Total of 2UDs 3CDXs 12CDs 2REs 8AgilityTitles 1BH Chow!
20 Yrs Training/Teaching Experience
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Knighted Member

What if Nikon decides to do this during his BH?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

LOl that reminds me of when he was much younger, we went to Kentucky to visit a SchH club there, waiting all morning watching them train and finally it was our turn for obedience. I asked him to "platz" and then waited for the TD to see what else he wanted, and Nikon being an "operant" dog decided to go ahead and show everyone how good he is at "roll over", haha! So everytime I said "platz!" he added in a roll over like it would earn him double treats/toys.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

I did a video a couple months back on how to train leg weaves. Hope it helps.

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

(Risa's Blog)

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Crowned Member

Look at Risa! She's so smart. So, what word do you use for this?

This might be a good activity for Ciana. Since she hurt her elbow I've been wondering what would keep her happy.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 02:36 PM

My aussie girl does this, I basically taught the way Jamie & Risa shows..she was easy to do, a short little thing that is highly food motivated ))

Now Masi, on the otherhand,,she does weave, but she is a tall girl, and heck we crash into each other alot! LOL..she also likes to come up from behind me/or in front of me and go between my legs, we are at the point, where I just use a hand signal and she is ready to go ) She is more toy motivated, so using her frisbee works good with her..

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

Carole, I just use the word 'weave' as my cue. Nothing creative for this trick.

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

(Risa's Blog)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page