Help! She's too friendly! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Help! She's too friendly!

I never thought I'd have to worry about my dog being too friendly, but we are getting ready to retake the CGC test and we have the same problem as before - Minnie can't contain herself. She does the whole test perfectly, but when it comes to meeting another person with a dog she just HAS to go and meet them. No treat is tasty enough for her to ignore them. I've been taking her everywhere with me, trying to praise and treat her when she ignores other dogs, but when they meet face to face she's all play bows, and she doesn't care if I have bacon in front of her nose. She sometimes has this problem with people too - she's just so excited to meet a new playmate, but I usually can get her to calm down if I make the person ignore her for a few minutes. She's almost 9 months old now, and I thought we would have made a lot of progress on this, but unless she's wearing her prong collar she just can't seem to help herself. I don't like to have her wear the prong because she's a pretty soft dog and shuts down if I use it, but it does help to reinforce the command. Any ideas for fixing this? She's not really food motivated (unless there are NO distractions), but she does love to play fetch, which is coming in handy for her SAR training.

We wouldn't even care that much about passing the CGC because aside from wanting to play with other dogs she's really great about listening, most of the time (she still has her butthead moments). However, we may be moving soon, and if we need to rent a place until we find a house a CGC could help convince the landlord that she's a good girl.

Thanks!

Minnie - CGC
Tanner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Help! She's too friendly!

oh we had the same problem. When you get to the where you are meeting the person, first turn to her and tell her to sit. You can even put her in a down. Jax almost failed at this point but the tester let us redo that part.

There is a plastic collar that works like a prong but is not as severe.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Crowned Member

In our CGC test we had the dogs heeling on our left sides and the PEOPLE met face to face - and not that close. That way the dogs weren't overly tempted to go greet the other dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 11:34 AM

She is still pretty young, not even 9 months old. Keep working at it and give her some time -- remember how you were wanting to play when you were young.

I, myself, do not give CGC tests to dogs under a year old. That is a personal decision of mine though I will gladly walk through a test (no charge) for someone who wants to see what they need to work on with their young dog.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Crowned Member

Balto is the same way. I waited until he was well over a year old to get his CGC. It's not a race, anyway. Take your time, and she'll get it eventually.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Banned

I had the same problem with Baron (male now approaching 21 months0 and it was a problem to get im to sit still long enough altho he was even mor einterested in other people than the other dogs usually. Eventually, he will settle down.

Besides, a lot better "problem" to have than having him shy or too aggressive.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Knighted Member

not meaning this as a put down but just think a lot of posters on this board wish they had this problem .Unless your landlord is a DOG person he would probably react more positively to being kissed to death than a CGC rating.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 05:21 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

THink some of it is probably an age thing BUT you'd also see alot of improvement with a good set of dog classes.

Cause good classes are full of (brace yourself) other wonderful people and dogs! So YOU'LL get the skills you need to help train your dog, and the same time your pup is learning to listen and learn from you in a room full of exciting people and dogs!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Crowned Member

Practice practice practice, but you are already! I guess I would rather she be friendly other than aggressive.

When you walk in to greet the person you can talk to the dog all you want. Approach on a bit of an arc so she is not making eye contact. You cannot use your body to block her but you can arc a bit so you do not meet head on.

Put her in a stay (either sit or down whichever she is more likely to hold) REMIND her to stay and then pass on.

I think the hard part of this exercse is the handler is doing 2 things: greeting and shaking hands with the other person and trying to watch the dog. I think the dog figures this out and if you are distracted the dog will be distracted and more likely to break a stay and go to do something they should not, especially at this age. Forget the other person and concentrate on the dog and reminding her to stay.

AKC will allow tests of young dogs but they also recommend repaeting it at a later age when the dog is fully mature.

Havoc passed his CGC at 10 months - barely. I need to re-test him now that he is 2 but he also likes to visit!

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Crowned Member

We have the same problem with meeting other dogs, but it's not a bad problem to have compared to other issues you could have.

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page