Teaching German Shepherd not to chomp on your hand - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Teaching German Shepherd not to chomp on your hand

How do i teach my german shepherd not to chomp on my hand when i give him a treat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 03:35 AM
Elite Member

Re: Teaching German Shepherd not to chomp on your hand

The way we've always done it is to hold the treat mostly enclosed in your hand so that they can taste and smell it but can't get it. Offer our hand and not open it to give the treat until they are just licking. Can be a little painful at first as they mouth, but they learn pretty quick that they have to be gentle to get the treat. We use the command 'Easy', say it as they're licking right before/as you open your hand.

I'm sure there are other techniques, this is just how we taught them to be gentle taking treats.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 08:45 AM
Crowned Member

I do the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Master Member

Same here. We also say the dog's name before giving the treat as we have 3 dogs. That way each dog knows who gets the treat and there is no grabbing or trying to take the other dog's treat.

Julie

Time spent with your dog is never wasted!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GSD
Copper - Beagle
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Crowned Member

I hold the treat so that they have to lower their head a little. Keeps them from reaching up which tends to make them grab.

Kris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Murphy, Sheltie/Keeshond, 10/31/91-10/3/10
Max, GSD, 6/3/96 - 4/26/08
Kitties: Taz, Chessy, Jacki and Lucy
Samson, GSD
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: SteffanieThe way we've always done it is to hold the treat mostly enclosed in your hand so that they can taste and smell it but can't get it. Offer our hand and not open it to give the treat until they are just licking. Can be a little painful at first as they mouth, but they learn pretty quick that they have to be gentle to get the treat. We use the command 'Easy', say it as they're licking right before/as you open your hand.

I'm sure there are other techniques, this is just how we taught them to be gentle taking treats.
This is the same way we taught "no bite". I think it teaches them basically to be gentle at all times if they want something good!

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 11:52 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Teaching German Shepherd not to chomp on your

Pinch the treat between your thumb and forefinger and use your other fingers to "shield" the treat from the dog. In order to get to the treat, the dog would need to nudge his way past your shielding fingers.

Also, don't give the treat to the dog (handing the food to their mouth). Make the dog come "into" you to get the treat.

That or you can just teach your dog to catch his treats and start throwing them at him zookeeper style! (my preferred method)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Knighted Member

If just giving a casual treat asking for a 'down'first can sometimes work as they are forced to be in one spot and can't grab so easily.I admit when training I "use zookeeper style"cause Jake is usually ramped up.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Jason Lin
That or you can just teach your dog to catch his treats and start throwing them at him zookeeper style! (my preferred method)
LOL
If only my dog could catch!

Owner to Minerva - 2yo uber pup & Zelda - 13 pounds of feline fury!

"The more I see of man, the more I like dogs." ~Mme. de StaŽl
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 03:47 PM

haha! my pup will be sitting there with eyes staring on the treat, then on me and you can tell his trying to say "Throw it to me already! sheesh!" and then when I toss the treats, he'll miss the catch and give me an evil stare! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page