How to teach Stormy to stop barking at other dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

How to teach Stormy to stop barking at other dogs?

So, here is a another issue I need to fix. Stormy is usually sleeping in the afternoon and is very very active at night and in the morning. Basically when the sun is down. Every time when there is a family who is just walking their dogs... Stormy tends to rush out to bark at them. He sometimes barks when they are far away and is approaching him. This disturbs the neighbors and I don't want my neighbors to be annoyed by his barking. How can I stop him from barking at other dogs? I want him to learn how to stop him from barking at other dogs, but not from intruders. Will neutering him help with this issue? Of course I want him to bark at intruders or anything that may cause trouble, but just not at every dog that passes by. Any suggestions?

-Thanks

GSD STORMY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Knighted Member

Re: How to teach Stormy to stop barking at other dogs?

Heidi is starting to do this too, so I'll be interested in any replies you get! This is frustrating, I know.

Karin and Dave

Heidi, 9-year-old GSD
Adopted on 10/14/07 from:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sheba, GSD/Malamute
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Banned

socialize him around other dogs but train him to
be the dog you want him to be at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 03:49 PM

Yes at our training class (The one we goto), we have a exercise to make them not agressive or bark at other dogs this is how you do it:

1.All dogs will stand on a side.

2.one of the will walk through and out of the other people.

3.While the person is doing this you may have to try and distract him/her from barking so hold a treat in your hand it is alot easier then when the owner and dog is gone you give her/him the treat.

4.Then keep repeating then it will go off slowly

I hope this helped but remember you need at least 3 people with dogs to do this

GermanShepherds Are The World.

Pets:

2 Cats Called Vickey And Bobby - 15 Years Old
1 Germanshepherd Called Sasha - 17 Weeks Old

Got Out GSD:23/1/09

Websites:

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: doggiedadsocialize him around other dogs but train him to
be the dog you want him to be at home.
Ohh.. he gets a lot of dog socializing as we also have a golden retriever that is 1 years old and is neutered and he seems to be more calm about other dogs. Every so often my relatives brings their dogs.

GSD STORMY!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Sasha's FamilyYes at our training class (The one we goto), we have a exercise to make them not agressive or bark at other dogs this is how you do it:

1.All dogs will stand on a side.

2.one of the will walk through and out of the other people.

3.While the person is doing this you may have to try and distract him/her from barking so hold a treat in your hand it is alot easier then when the owner and dog is gone you give her/him the treat.

4.Then keep repeating then it will go off slowly

I hope this helped but remember you need at least 3 people with dogs to do this
Sasha's Family, Thanks for your advice. I will try this ASAP.

GSD STORMY!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 02:36 PM

I learned from my trainer the "Look at That" command which is basically just rewarding calm and quiet observation. For my girl Heidi she would bark at any person or other dog when we were on our walks but usually when they've come within 30 feet or so.

So I started sitting her and giving her the command and rewarding her for simply watching when people were a safe distance away , when they come closer I continue to command and reward and within 2 days her barking reduced by 50%. After a few more days she was down to a growl and by the end of the week when she saw someone instead of barking she looked up at me for praise or a reward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page