Potty re-training question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Potty re-training question

Ever since Malik was little, we've taken him across the yard to the tall grassy area for him to pee. He poops on his walks only, and that's fine. But he's now 4 years old and we're really tired of having to take him out at 11 at night to that tall grass, which means putting shoes on (and in winter a lot more), walking through the garage (he has a dog door), out through the yard about 20 yards, and wait until he decides to go.
We've been trying to only walk half way through the yard and coax him (he knows "hurry up" for peeing), but he stops when we do and looks at us quizzically. Eventually, we creep towards the grass and he'll make up his mind, and we'll talk a few steps back to try to increase his confidence being alone. But it seems like he's not really getting it and I'm not sure we're doing the right thing.
Would any of you have any ideas, suggestions, etc? We really want to have him go out alone, meaning open the living room door to the garage, say "hurry up", have him go sniff and pee for whatever time he needs, and not have to step out anymore.
Thanks ahead!

~ Malik, GSD, 10.5 yrs old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Re: Potty re-training question

Ok, since there are no answers, and we were dumb enough to make this last 4 years, new question: how long would it be ok to let him be without peeing. Because I took him out last night around 9:30 on a walk, and this morning put him in the yard at 8, but he showed no interest in peeing and went back in the garage. I think he's afraid of the tall grass, lol! So I'll take him for a walk around 9 but I've heard it can be bad for dogs (and humans too) to wait forever when needing to pee, it could create bladder problems like cancer.
Basically it appears that my GS can hold it for 12 hours if that means he has to pee on his own in that grass!
Any clues on this?
Thanks!

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

And I realize this post may have to be moved to the health section.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Crowned Member

You are right that after 4 years of you going with him , it will be difficult to redirect him to go without you. It can be done, though.

First of all, if you really think he is afraid of the tall grass, could you mow a patch where he is supposed to go?

Use a long line and walk him toward his place, then as he moves forward and stops to pee/poop, back off so you are about 10 feet closer to the house.

Big celebration when is his done, calling him to you (not you to him) and give hugs, treats, whatever he most likes.

Do this over the course of a week or two, working toward him becoming more independent and getting further in front of you each time. Continue backing off as he is 'busy.' When done, call, cheer, treat, etc.

Within a few weeks, he should begin running out to his place so he can run back to the celebration. Don't rush getting to the point of just opening the door and sending him - that could take awhile. But you should soon be able to just stand outside the door and wait.

Good luck to you!

Bonnie

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

With approval from:
Skye, CGC & certified therapy dog (GSD)
Buddy, CGC & certified therapy dog (golden, tripod)

RIP
Sophie - the life was too short dog
Solo - CGC, AAT 'stars in the sky dog'
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all this info, we'll get to work at once!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Crowned Member

I had a dog that would hold it until I could come outside and watch him pee.

The longest he ever held it was after a snowstorm. He waited 44 hours to pee. It really made me nervous and I'd make him sleep in the kitchen until he finally peed. I don't think he ever had to pee in deep snow in his life before that.

You know I never minded going out with him. At least then I knew he had done his business. And he never went far from the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page