Dog is NOT good with children - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Dog is NOT good with children

So I have discovered a little problem with my female GSD, wini. She is 1 1/2 yrs. old. Recently when kids come to the house she is very bad! She gets nervous and barks at them. When they go to pet her she kind of like shrinks down and sometimes runs away. She just dosen't like them. Now she is jumping on them and is snapping at them. She hasn't bit any child, but she like snaps and tries.

She is in dog training. We have kids coming to the house alot. So I want her to behave when they come over. The trainer said a lot of dogs aren't good with small children and kids in general. How can I get her to be comfortable and good with kids? Do I have to lock her away every time a kids comes over?? I don't want someone to get hurt in the process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 02:14 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Dog is NOT good with children

Recently discovered this problem? I would definitely suggest taking Wini to the vet (even if she was just there and was "fine" ) because she needs to have her thyroid checked. Thyroid problems can make dogs get snappy and cranky at some things but not others! Imagine if you discover that she is hypothyroid, and this was the only symptom-- and it might be resolved by a relatively inexpensive daily pill? I would get Wini a thyroid screening done at your vet. This may help rule out this as the problem, but if it is the problem, the vet can help you correct it. Thyroid issues truly can make seemingly "healthy" dogs seem irritable, snappish-- and sometimes only with SOME things, while being great with everything else! Good luck with Wini. Please let us know how her thyroid results came out!

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Master Member

While waiting on results of a thyroid check, I think I would also start looking at the circumstance that set off this behavior. If you can identify certain things that are setting her off, you can work on training both the kids and the dog.

If petting is setting her off, does the way the kids approach her seem threatening (from her point of view)? Get your trainer to help you read her body language. I think I would also try getting a lot of treats and putting her on a sit/stay and let the kids treat her for calm behavior (supervised by you of course). And teach the kids how to approach her in a way that isn't threatening.

My grandson is almost 5 and our puppy is about 4 months old. Naturally the pup is still in a very nippy stage and when the grandson runs, the pup thinks it's time for a great game of chase and nipping at heels, which the grandson doesn't really like nor understand. When the pup gets aroused and ready to play like that, I have Tyler (grandson) get a tug toy and play tug with the puppy. So I'm effectively training both of them to do something that is enjoyable for both of them.

I'm sure other will have some suggestions as well.

Johanna

Aodhán (GSD)- Mar 2002
Caleb (Quill vom kleinen Teich) - Mar 2009
Rica (GSD)- Nov 1996 - July 2009 RIP
Max (GSDx) - 1983 - 1998 RIP
Kelly (GSD) - 1986 - 1996 RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Crowned Member

I learned yesterday that Lyme's disease can also cause aggression. Found that very interesting.

Did one of the kids do something to Wini when no one was looking? If this is not a medical problem then you need to introduce Wini to the kids properly. Put her on a leash, have them stand very still while she is smelling them, have them give her treats, teach her they are not a threat.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Knighted Member

What have you done up to this point from a training/socializing standpoint with her and kids?

What type of training is she in?

What other situations does she act like this?

How long has she been acting like this?

John
- Zahar vom Leerburg "Lowen"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Diesel vom Kriegershaus "Diesel" BH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 02:22 AM
Elite Member

Everyone seems to be concentrating on training the dog and helping the dog to handle the children in a good way. This is definitely a must. The thyroid check is an absolute must. Checking into the lyme's disease thing I would think to be very important, see if your dog exhibits symptoms of that illness, too.

BUT ... ya'all are passing over a key ingredient here ... what about teaching the KIDS how to behave with and around a dog? Most parents don't do this, don't know they need to. Humans are notorious for believing "you need to keep your dog under control." Ok, yes we do, but what about the parents keeping their kids under control and teaching them how to behave with and around a dog? People with kids just don't do this it seems.

Last stats I read not to long ago were that the majority of dog bites happen to children. Mostly girls aged 6-7'ish and teen girls 14-16'ish.

Parents need to learn that they need to teach their children respect of a dog which is an animal first. If a child gets bit by your dog who do you think is going to be blamed? Certainly not the kid but it's likely the kid is the one at fault.

Deb • Riley & Nissa
Rainbow Bridge • Damien Katy Crocket Kayla Gypsy Toby

German Shepherd Dog Blog

• web sites for Rescues, Shelters and Pets
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Master Member

I agree that teaching the kids how to behave around the dog is also a very important component here.

Johanna

Aodhán (GSD)- Mar 2002
Caleb (Quill vom kleinen Teich) - Mar 2009
Rica (GSD)- Nov 1996 - July 2009 RIP
Max (GSDx) - 1983 - 1998 RIP
Kelly (GSD) - 1986 - 1996 RIP
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 08:31 AM

I also agree with teaching the kids,,,Masi is 15mths old, I don't have kids, but have nephews and my mom has kids for neighbors (and I'm over there alot)..

Masi is not a fan of kids, however, if they are calm kids, and ignore her, she is happy to ignore them. She gets along great with my 8 year old nephew, whom she rarely sees, and is fine with kids in general, however, if they are screaming, racing around, and being really loud, she would prefer to be elsewhere..

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

yeah 99% of the kids scream and run around and jump up and down and yell and stomp there feet.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Mandalay Send a message via Yahoo to Mandalay

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Riley's Mom what about teaching the KIDS how to behave with and around a dog?
This is a good point. Most likely it is something that is going to need to be addressed on the dogs end, but it could be hugely beneficial to the kids if they were trained on how to behave around a dog.

I see my 7yo dd and her friends (or even just other kids) and how differently they all interect with dogs. Even kids that have dogs!! RARELY do I see a kid go up to a dog and ASK to pet the dog 1st. They usually just lunge in, hands and arms a flinging toward the dog.

Even less rare do I see a kid offer their hand out for the dog to smell. They go shoving their hands on top of the dogs head and then freak out when the dog tilts its head back to see whats going on up there.

SO OFTEN kids go poking around a dogs rear end/back from behind. The poor dog has no idea whats going on back there or who is touching them and turn to see, only to have the kid jump back.

UGH people!! Train your kids.

----------------------------------

Now about the dog not being good with the kids...after the vet has checked the dog and you know she is healthy, get treats. Good treats. May want to boil some chicken and cut it into little pieces.

Have the kids come over and toss, one piece at a time (and make sure they toss to and not throw at) to the dog. When she is comfortable with this, have them wait until she moves a little closer. Eventually she'll be up taking the treat out of their hands. Don't go too fast and don't let the kids move fast, or make loud noises while this is going on.

-
-
Mandalay, GSD, CGC, DOB 01-31-08
Mazy, White Boxer, DOB ? Sometime in 2010 we think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page