Visiting dogs w/your dogs (traveling)-how do you? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Visiting dogs w/your dogs (traveling)-how do you?

We're planning to vist a good friend in rutal NH. She has a smart, sweet 11 yr old lab/boxer female. We've had many great times hiking, swimming and exploring w/ my wife, my female GSD & our 11 yr old male Yorkie.
We still have our Yorkie. That female GSD is in heavon & we have two more that we fostered/adopted about 5 wks ago. One 6yr old timid/submissive 6yr old female the other a 2 yr old dominant male. All dogs are nonaggressive and have never been in a fight (as far as we know). Our host's bf also has an adult golden retriver female who will spend some time w/ us too. We're looking foward to spending a week playing in the woods.
My question: How should we introduce our trio to our host & her dog? What boundries should we set & should we limit attention to each other's animals to limit possesive behavior? I want to impose the least amount of stress to our guest and her mature female. Any suggestions? What do/would you do?
Thanks
JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Crowned Member

My general rule is that my dogs aren't allowed to impose on others. My in-laws have an old Cocker spaniel who's gone deaf and has never been socialized with dogs. When we are at their house, I keep my dogs crated, outside, or gated in a room he is not using. They're not allowed to pester him. It's his house and we abide by his rules. Since he cannot hear and is old and sore, he doesn't like other dogs because he can't hear them coming and doesn't notice until they are right there in his face. So, my dogs have to respect this and leave him alone, or they are crated in a back room.

If the host dogs are inviting and playful, that's fine, but generally I do not expect the host dogs to change their rules/lifestyle to accomodate my dogs.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 09:17 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Generally, my dogs seem to do better with a meeting OUTSIDE the house. And if they are off leash. So I'm not sure how your friends front yard is in relation to the road and traffic...

If I were really concerned I'd initially just see if there could be a meet/greet in neutral territory at some local park or something. A nice walk for ALL the dogs before going to the 'stress' of the home and tight quarters of hallways and doorways is a help.

I also take total advantage of the fact that crate training is such a blessing in these situations! My dogs LOVE their crates. It's a little piece of home when I unload them and set them up when visiting. And it's a great way to manage the situation well if we go out and can't take the dogs, so we know everything will be EXACTLY the same when we return home as when we left.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Re: Visiting dogs w/your dogs (traveling)-how do you?

Good advice MaggieRoseLee
As I said it is rural. So we will infact meet and greet out in the woods and take a brief get to know you and stretch the legs walk (we'll have been driving for 7 or 8 hours). As far as crates, the girl's is collapsable and we will take it. The boy broke out of two cages and distroyed a standard crate. His current home crate (which he is ok w/) is a large, bulky and heavy steel lab cage. It is sooo not portable. I can try to re acclimate the two to sharing her crate and see how that goes now. I do think they'll all get along I'm only concerned about possessivness showing it's ugly head. The one wildcard is bf's the young adult golden. Three females : l Mine (female) is still intact (soon to be spade, perhaps before our trip?). Might that make any differance?
JD
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 09:58 AM

My parents live in rural VT and when we first visited with either of my dogs, we always met outside and took a nice long walk with everyone on a leash no matter what time you arrive (with my previous dog we showed up at about 1am and kept the dogs out for about a half hour...it may have been overkill, but they were both so tired all they wanted to do was go inside and go to sleep!). We have been lucky all the dogs have gotten along well and we now call our trips to VT, "going to camp".

Cheryl
Trooper (GSD) Rescued 4/5/09
Brady (GSD) Rescued 8/31/02 - Went to bridge 1/2/09...we miss you buddy
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

As I said I'm farily confidant they'll be fine. I was just looking for your suggestions. This is our favorite trio of the year. Its a vacation for people and dogs. We have so much fum playing in the woods, hiking up monutains, splashing through streams and in the surf. I think getting so much mental exercise w/ so much sensory stimulation is enough to defuse any tense energy.
Hope to post pics! Thanks.
JD
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 01:39 AM
Master Member

I agree also. I take my dogs everywhere and we always take a walk with everyone to tire the the body and mind out. Keep everyone moving forward so it lessens any need to try to be dominant over anyone else.

Suzi

“Ein Leben ohne Boxer ist möglich, aber sinnlos.”
"A life with out boxer is possible but senseless"

uberhauptnichtwieder (Never ever again)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 07:47 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I personally haven't noticed any difference with my dogs meeting males vs. females. Much more about the other dogs comfort with other dogs and their background and experience.

I think if you have someplace to meet and go for a walk with ALL the dogs before getting to their house, that's pretty much perfect. The stress of the initial greeting after a long boring car ride will be easily balanced by quickly moving off and walking walking walking............... so when at the home that initial stuff will already be past.

Just watch with the feeding and toys to see if issues do crop up. If the dog toys need to all be taken up, and dog(s) fed separately, then that's easy to do to manage the situation before there is a problem.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page