Un-housebroken foster - Help!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Un-housebroken foster - Help!!

I have an 8 year old dobie here who is the sweetest, gentlest dog. He's a very good boy. He has one quirk...he hates cats. Just one flaw....he keeps pooping in the house.

We take him out, 10-15 minutes. He'll pee but then is more interested in the rest of the world than going. When he starts racing around the kitchen it's time to go. We have about 2 minutes to see and react or we're cleaning up a mess.

His original owner, who released him due to health problem, had him on a schedule where he only had to take him out once a day and that's all he'll go is once a day. We can't seem to figure out that schedule.

We had a couple problems, for a couple days he did great. Yesterday he went on the floor at 4pm after having just been out 10 minutes before. This morning he was playing with Jax and we turned around and there is a mess.

I've tried all I know. Now I'm thinking about fasting him for a day to get his system cleaned out and get him on our schedule. He seems to only want to eat once a day. I think 4 cups of food at once is alot but that's what he's always done.

On the upside our floors get mopped more now than they ever have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 10:06 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Un-housebroken foster - Help!!

Treat him like you would a puppy that you are housebreaking - That's supposed to be the secret. Restricted access and eagle eye on your part. He's giving you two minutes to pick up on his signals? That's a lot of time in the "gotta go" world.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Crowned Member

Leash him to you all the time in the house. That way he can't signal without you knowing it.

Feed him in the morning then put him in his crate. Give him about 30 minutes in there then take him out and WAIT. Keep him in leash outside and don't let him run around. Simply stand there and wait. Give him about 10 minutes. If nothing happens start briskly walking him around - the bloack, your yard, wherever. Just get him moving at a good pace. After 10 minutes of this go back to the area you want him to potty and WAIT.

The first couple days make takes an hour or more to get him to go but he'll soon catch on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

and two minutes was fine. Yesterday there wasn't any time nor was there this morning. We have been treating him like a puppy. That's the part of "I've tried all I know" along with giving him treats and lots of praise when he goes.

Now I'm trying to think of a way to change his schedule of going once a day, which I think is part of the problem of when he has to go...he really has to go, but that's what he's known for 7 years.

We've been feeding him twice a day as we do our own dogs. The first couple of days he was more than happy to eat twice a day. Then he wouldn't eat all day until he had pooped, which he would not do until about 6 pm. That's understandable...he was full. So he ate it at night. Now I think his schedule is just completely frogged up, which is why I'm thinking of fasting him for a day but I really don't want to do that because I think it's just wrong unless they've been sick and absolutely need it.

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Lauri...should I feed him once a day or twice like we've been doing since he came to our house?

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The Gang

If nothing happens start briskly walking him around - the bloack, your yard, wherever. Just get him moving at a good pace.
Jax and Baron were playing quite heavily this morning. Will exercise get his bowels moving? I wondered about that with this accident this morning.

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Crowned Member

Are you sure he was really housebroken when you got him> I ask because we got Neek when he was 3 and half and he has NEVER gone in the house, he will throw toys at us *LOL* etc to signal us he has to GO.
I would stay out there with him until he goes....and in the house leash him to you. I do thisalot with Neek but for different reasons, mainly his incessant barking, right now he is sitting here and has leash on being perfect angel he was barking at the neighbors at the kitchen window. so he got his freedom taken away for awhile, he usually has the run of the house.

Sashi
ALWAYS REMEMBERED
Sept 1, 1999- Aug 11, 2008

Neek
Our special needs Rescue
adopted 09-March
4 yr old
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

The owner was very frail. I think that he didn't always make it outside. So maybe he was housebroken and as the owner's condition deteriorated he started to go in the house. Our dogs would have to be left for a very, very long time before they would go and he doesn't seem to have much of a problem going on the floor. That indicates to me that he's been doing it.

I did what Lauri said to do but he as no interest in going at all. No luck. DD has him on a leash inside. We've done all this already but maybe we just need to keep doing it. His time to go seems to be in the late afternoon - early evening.

We're cleaning up the outside porches and yard today and had him out there with us for a long time. He's a typical dobie where he stays right by your side but the saddest part is I don't think he knows he had 30 ft to roam. He's never, ever been offleash so is going to agility with us today to let him run in a fenced area.

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Crowned Member

OK, Jax - you treat un trained puppies differently than I do. They get no unsupervised time - as soon as that dog is circling, you would know it because an unhouse trained dog has no freedom in the house. S/he is with you or crated.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Ok Middleofnowhere - actually I don't. Where did you read that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page