One trick after another or a couple .... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Banned

One trick after another or a couple ....

...at the same time?

Should I rather teach him one trick after another or can I teach him some tricks the same time? He is so eager to learn and does many things naturally so I'd love to use his natural abilities and use the clicker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 06:48 PM

Re: One trick after another or a couple ....

Hi,

I have been teaching my 12 week puppy different tricks/commands. I am incorporating them into her everyday rountine. Like sit to put on leash, then stay while I open the door, etc. She is learning very quickly.

Now if I could just get her to stay out of the cat litter box. When she is quiet I know where to look!!!!

Bungee 6/1996 - 01/2009 * Dane/lab mix
Sassy of Rosehall and Black Magic 4/13/09 GSD
Copper 1998 * Redbone Hound*
Buster 6/2008* cat
Prissy 1990-2010 *cat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

He is learning quickly too. He is learning so fast that it is amazing. He is so eager to learn and do new stuff that I have to be careful not to do too much.

How do I use the clicker with the agility training. Did anyone use the clicker for agility or is that a different concept? I just taught him to pay attention to me with the clicker and just started doing this. It works perfect so I mainly want to use it for opedience or fun tricks, so how about agility?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 07:08 PM

Can't help you with the clicker-mine totally ignores it.

Bungee 6/1996 - 01/2009 * Dane/lab mix
Sassy of Rosehall and Black Magic 4/13/09 GSD
Copper 1998 * Redbone Hound*
Buster 6/2008* cat
Prissy 1990-2010 *cat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 09:11 PM

I don't see any harm in teaching your pup different tricks, they love to guess and anticipate so just be careful not to mix them together. [quote=Mrs.K
How do I use the clicker with the agility training. Did anyone use the clicker for agility or is that a different concept? I just taught him to pay attention to me with the clicker and just started doing this. It works perfect so I mainly want to use it for opedience or fun tricks, so how about agility? [/quote]

You can use a clicker with most anything you want to with obedience
tricks, agility. I think clickers are useful and can be alot of fun. First you want to pair the sound of the click with a reward (food, game, praise...whatever your dog likes) easiest and most common is food.

sit with your dog and "load" the clicker by clicking and each and every time you click give your dog a treat(reward) As your doing this your dog is learning by associating the sound of the click with a reward directly followed by that sound (classical conditioning ). Your dog will think this part is great, and you want it to be a fun thing.

After a bit once your dog is catching onto the game, walk away let your dog get slightly distracted, then click, if your dog turns to you and looks for that reward, then your ready to start training with it. If you dog dose not look at the sound of your click, then go back to loading until you get that response.

Once your dog understands this, you can use it to reward good behaviors quick, timing is important because dogs are alot faster then us humans. There are some great clicker recourses out there, clicker class's, training books I liked alot of Karen Pryor's books. There are some great websites on clicker training as well. They can be a wonderful tool and alot of fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page