How do I teach my dog to "stand" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

How do I teach my dog to "stand"

I attempted shaping and i'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I give no formal stand command. She just knows I have a treat in my hand and i put her int he sit command. and the moment she takes her butt off the ground I say "yes" and treat her. However, when she finally stands, she standing to go after the reward. So I'm concerned that I'm shaping her biting at my hand for a treat rather than the act of standing. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Crowned Member

Re: How do I teach my dog to "stand"

I used a clicker with Cody who got it within 5 miutes when he was younger. I would have him sitting and move the treat so his butt comes off the ground, I would then click for just his butt lifting up. Then after a few clicks for only the butt coming up, I would only click when he was farther up. Then I would click when he was fully standing. I taught this to him when he was under 6 months. I also shaped how he stand after he understood the command. I have both my dogs stand with there back feet coming up from under them as there front stays in position. Makes a faster stand.
I've seen some people use a leash around their mid section and when they say stand they lightly tighten the leash up and the dog naturally stands. But I guess you use whatever works.
As a game to make sure they really know the commands, I say sit, down, stand, down, sit, stand, etc.

Akbar 6 years
Isa 10 years
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Re: How do I teach my dog to "stand"

how did you get them to stand with the front staying in position?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page