Leash problems - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Leash problems

OK, Rocky is going on 6 months now, and has been pretty good when the leash is attached. But if he sees a person he knows, or another dog itís hold on for the ride. Pulls like there is no tomorrow. Iíve tried to get him to sit, but just getting his attention is hard to do. I would normally get in front of him to get his attention but he goes right around me trying to get to the person or dog. And itís all being friendly, not being aggressive.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated to get him to stop pulling so much in this type of situation. Not a fan of the choke type collars either, but if that is the answer Iíll look into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Master Member

Re: Leash problems

I got the gentle leader, does wonders!!
http://www.petsmart.com/search/index...%20leader&sr=1

Chantell

Chyanne-GSD-3/22/09
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 12:34 PM

Turn around and walk in the opposite direction. After doing that a few times he will figure out the only way he is going to get to where he wants to go is to do it by your side and not acting like a hooligan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Elite Member

Gentle Leader is not for every dog .. we'll never use it as to me it was the most unnatural thing for Xargos..

There is a very good article by Susanne Clothier on this.. (check her website http://flyingdogpress.com/content/view/18/94/ -- you need to register for free to read) also, the dog (even if adjusted properly) CAN get it off..

Tanya

Xargos Vom Haus Tyson (born Sep., 27, 2008)
LoveBug, a brown-with-white Siberian cat, the kindest cat on earth (born Oct.27,2007)
Tiger, a red Siberian cat (born Aug.8,2008) -- Lovebug's best friend
Pumpkin, an outdoor cat
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Master Member

While it may not be for every dog, it has done wonders on my dog, only used it a few days, and now on regular leash with no problems at all, I'd rather use this than a choke chain.

Chantell

Chyanne-GSD-3/22/09
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Knighted Member

I need help with this too, both my GSD walk good until, something scares them, or when they know we are heading home, then they are in a hurry. They pull so hard and drag me.

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Heidi W... my GSD walk good until, something scares them, or when they know we are heading home, then they are in a hurry. They pull so hard and drag me.
Yip, Blake did the exact same thing. Was horrible...he'd see the house and start pulling like a maniac. Nothing worked, I stoped and told him to sit...he kept trying to go. It was as if he blocked out everything except the door to the house. So then I started to turn in the opposite direction every time he started to pull. I'd walk until he settled down and then turn around and head back home. I had to do it about 6 times for him to get it the first day and a few more times the second day...after that he 'doesn't know where our house is'!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Knighted Member

Exactly, It is like they don't like going for walks, they can't wait to get back home. I try to walk two at a time it is a struggle. I guess I will need to practice with one or get the head halter gentle leader and see if that works.

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 01:05 PM

I Tried to use the Gentile Leader, didnít work for my girl, she only got anxious and jumping like crazy, I tried to change directions until I got dizzy, tried food as distraction and nothing works, I found about prongs and give it a try, the first time she tried to pull was shocking, more for me than my dog, she yelp and cried, I took it off and put it away, one day walking with a friend, while I was struggling with my girl we saw a big dog pulling a lady to cross the street, the lady loose the leash and the dog got hit by a passing car, after the shocking moment my friend look at me and told me, ďthat could be your dogĒ, I felt something horrible from my spine to my forehead, I went back home and put the prong on my girl again, as soon she tried to pull the prong kick in, she start to yelp and cry again, but I didnít took it out, as soon she calmed we kept walking, she make two more attempts and then she desist, after that she never tried again...
It did work, I couldnít resist after couple of days and put the gentile Leader again, same as the first time, I thought would be the same as the prong so leave it for the entire walk, she didnít do well, at the end my girl was shaking like crazy and as soon I took it off she start to rub her nose everywhere, I use the prong next day and she was walking nicely and then I notice something better she was waving her tale while we were walking, she was happy.
As Chantell said, the Gentile Leader is not for every dog and certainly not for my dog.

Frank
Savannah's Dad
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Master Member

I don't like the gentle leader either. If he is 6 months he is old enough for a prong collar. A few corrections with the prong collar, much better than a choke collar and he will be heeling. Good luck with him.

Qadira vom Haus Tyson 01/29/08
Call name: Juli
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page