Got a few things in here. Come on in. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Got a few things in here. Come on in.

How do you teach a dog not to beg?

In with teaching the Alpha role it says you are supposed to eat first, right? Right. So if you are eating first & the dog is hungry, you are sitting at the table eating. Where is your dog? Mine is sitting there watching me eat, & I do not like that.

It feels to me that he is begging when he does that, even though he is not whimpering or barking for attention. So to prevent him from being right there, what do you do? I put him outside or in the crate till I am done. I want to hear what you do with him/her in that time.

<span style="color: #000099">FWIW, I am laid off right now & being around him all the time is great, sometimes, other times he is just driving me crazy with his gotta be glued to me ways. I love the fact that he wants to be right there, but I need some space sometimes. When you need time away (if you do), do you feel bad for leaving your dog at home in the crate (providing your dog is still young like mine). If you don't need time away, all I gotta say is WOW.

What about if you are not going anywhere, do you feel bad for putting him in his crate? I put him outside & he will play with sticks, roam around the yard, or lay by the door till I am done with "my time".</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Got a few things in here. Come on in.

I don't believe in the whole "eating before your dog to be Alpha blah blah blah" stuff. My dogs usually eat before me, and I don't have any issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Knighted Member

I agree with Aubie-I feed my dogs before I eat. They do still try the sad look on me for a taste of my food, but I tell them to go lay down and that's the end of it. They never get table scraps.

As for 'my time'...that consists of taking a shower with the door closed. They are both velcro dogs and it does get complicated because this house is teeny tiny, but I like velcro dogs (I think )
The only time either are crated is when I go to work, and only because of SA issues in order to avoid the destruction.

When I am cooking, they are not allowed in the kitchen cause it is so small so that is when they are out on their own. They run off a lot of the days pent up energy. BUT I am always very aware so if they bark I am out there in a matter of seconds.

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Crowned Member

hk I completely understand how you feel. We always eat first and feed Rocky after. He will not beg but he will sit there and stare, so we send him out of the room. IT doesnt bother DH but I cant stand it.

Not sure how old your pup is, but I dont see anything wrong with putting your pup in his crate, as long as he is happy and safe, whether it is because you want sometime without him underfoot or it you have to leave the house. My choice would be his crate way over outside. Too many things for him to get into outside.

Danielle

Mom to:
Rocky - 3 year old Black GSD
3 Skin Kids
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Elite Member

We have always fed our animals first just as a convenience to us. Frankly I can't imagine the cats leaving us in peace in the moirning if we didn't. It has never been an issue. Our two GSD's are not counter surfers. they have sniffed along the edge of the table as that's how they read life, but NEVER have taken anything off the table.

Clover was more of a Velcro dog before we added Max, but they still like to be where we are. Fortunately our house is large enought to accomodate two large dogs. We generally only crate when we are out of the house or at night (only Max at this point) but occasionally crate Max to give the cats some space. Given that he goes into the crate on his own at times, I really don't think he has any issue with it.

Clover - GSD 9 yr old Rescue
R.I.P. Spats, Sophie, Emmie, Pooh Bear, Rogue, Max and Patton

Remember, if someone has a problem with you.........it is in fact their problem.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Crowned Member

If your pup doesn't have dominance issues, don't but too much faith in the so called alpha methods. I prefer leadership methods. At 105lbs, I need psychological control over my dogs - they have to want to please me, not do as I say becuase I am the hand of god.

I usually feed my dogs before I get started making dinner - they're not underfoot while I'm getting things ready and while we're eating, they usually want to lay down and rest off their food - rather than beg for table food. This doesn't always work for my female - she's not into food so she likes to see if we're having something better.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

There is no dominance issues, unless he has a chew bone, then I just tell him "Mine!" when I take it away, & he will give it up with a little discouraged growl. Which is why I do not give him chew bones.

He is 5 months old, so he does not get full run of the house when I am gone or outside. He does get the laundry room to himself (which is where his crate is, & is the same room my bedroom door is in), contained by a baby gate since there is no door to the laundry room. I take him outside w/me every chance possible.

There is nothing outside that can hurt him. My driveway is 1/4 mile to the county road. I keep my place well trimmed & stuff put away. I check up on him every few minutes when he is outside by himself, & 9 times out of 10 he is on the porch just chilling. He does not roam from within 25 feet from the house.

I guess I am just a little different than most then, cause I like to be alone sometimes, or maybe I am still getting used to the fact that there is some one around 24/7 again, & I get periods where I don't need/want some one around.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Crowned Member

At 5months old, he still needs naps which is good you time. My dogs aren't velcro - either that or they figured out I don't care for that - so I can't help you with that. When I'm watching TV, my 13 month old is usually right on the floor infront of me but that's no big deal.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Master Member

We usually feed our dogs before we eat. It's never caused any problems with them.

As far as begging, your dog may do that even if he has already eaten. Mine will do that, especially the puppy. We've taught ours to go and lay down on their pillows when we are eating. That usually ends up with them going to sleep and there's no begging. If Rica starts begging, we'll tell her no begging and she looks away. Not sure how we got her to look away, because she learned that almost 12 years ago.
Caleb, the puppy, hasn't really learned that he is expected to lay down and not bother us while we're eating. I'm working on him learning to do a down near me and lay quietly. It's a work in progress and when he chooses not to cooperate he'll get some kennel time. We have a crate set up in the family room for him right now. So he's still near us even if he's in the crate.

I agree with Jenn that at his age, your puppy still needs naps. We do that with Caleb (14 weeks). He usually has a morning and afternoon nap.
Mine are velcro but more in the sense that they want to be in the same room, not necessarily glued to my side.

Johanna

Aodhán (GSD)- Mar 2002
Caleb (Quill vom kleinen Teich) - Mar 2009
Rica (GSD)- Nov 1996 - July 2009 RIP
Max (GSDx) - 1983 - 1998 RIP
Kelly (GSD) - 1986 - 1996 RIP
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: hk45How do you teach a dog not to beg?

In with teaching the Alpha role it says you are supposed to eat first, right? Right. So if you are eating first & the dog is hungry, you are sitting at the table eating. Where is your dog? Mine is sitting there watching me eat, & I do not like that.

It feels to me that he is begging when he does that, even though he is not whimpering or barking for attention. So to prevent him from being right there, what do you do? I put him outside or in the crate till I am done. I want to hear what you do with him/her in that time.

<span style="color: #000099">FWIW, I am laid off right now & being around him all the time is great, sometimes, other times he is just driving me crazy with his gotta be glued to me ways. I love the fact that he wants to be right there, but I need some space sometimes. When you need time away (if you do), do you feel bad for leaving your dog at home in the crate (providing your dog is still young like mine). If you don't need time away, all I gotta say is WOW.

What about if you are not going anywhere, do you feel bad for putting him in his crate? I put him outside & he will play with sticks, roam around the yard, or lay by the door till I am done with "my time".</span>
I give Blake food before we eat and he still sits there but I don't mind. I suggest you teach him 'Go spot' and when you're eating you send him to that spot. Another thing you can do is...ignore him! This behaviour is taught most of the time by owners feeding out of their plate while they're eating.

Regarding alone time, Blake was crate trained from 5 months old and I don't feel guilty when i leave him. He enjoys it in his crate and feels safe there. He usually is the one who goes and hides there when we're giving him too much attention. So I wouldn't feel bad. IMO it is good for the dog to be alone some times. We don't want a dog that suffers from seperation anxiety so putting them away and teaching them they're fine without you for a while builds their confedence and gives you some time alone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page