Having trouble building Miko's drive - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Having trouble building Miko's drive

I have no idea where to start. For about a month now, I've been trying to pull out Miko's ball drive by attaching a ball on a string onto a pole and whipping it around for a couple minutes a day. Just a few days ago, he still shows very little interest if it's not attached to the pole. I've switched to using a leather rag instead as he is much more a tug boy than a ball one. I think I can get him more obsessed with the rag but how do I harness this into him following commands for them. Also, when he is more obsessed with the rag, do I eventually detach it from the pole and string and use it as a tug for training (not building drive)? Any help would be great!

M&M

Miko - German Shepherd (2/11/09)
Max - Pomeranian Mix Rescue (8/8/1997)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Having trouble building Miko's drive

The best thing you can do is get out to a club and have someone experienced work with you and him. Or, at the very least get to a seminar. Michael Ellis is an outstanding trainer, and he has two seminars coming up in CA in august. Don't know how close they are to you, but if you can get there DO IT. Here is the link http://www.loupsdusoleil.com/training_seminars.html . Other than that, Leerburg's drive and focus DVD with Bernhard Flinks is a good start, but it will lead to more questions than answers. You really need someone to mentor you the first time. Building drive and then using that drive to train does not normally come very natural to new handlers.

John
- Zahar vom Leerburg "Lowen"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Diesel vom Kriegershaus "Diesel" BH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Banned

your dog is 4 months old. his drive could come out later. my dog didn't have much drive at 4 months old. then as we trained it came out. i like my dogs approach to drive. he has it when it's needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Elite Member

John,

Michael is so good, isn't he? Leerburg is now doing weekly newsletters with about 10 minutes of his training videos -- they are fantastic - can you find them all linked from leerburg site..

George,
FYI: Michael is in San Franscisco, so you can email him if August is not the best timing and find out what works..

Tanya

Xargos Vom Haus Tyson (born Sep., 27, 2008)
LoveBug, a brown-with-white Siberian cat, the kindest cat on earth (born Oct.27,2007)
Tiger, a red Siberian cat (born Aug.8,2008) -- Lovebug's best friend
Pumpkin, an outdoor cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page