Not jump on fences? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Not jump on fences?

I don't want my neighbors mad at me! I've discovered Booker likes to chase squirrels as far as he can- including almost over a 4 foot high wooden stockade fence- which isn't mine! If he wasn't a bulky boy, he would have been over it. The cross rails were unfortunately put on my side and the nice stockade side is facing the neighbor who put it up. He tried to climb a tree too. I know, the visuals LOL! I distract him while he's outside now, but I'd like to be able to leave him for a minute- any ideas? If I put a chair in the way, he'll use it as a springboard- uhoh another visual! I could put a rake in the way but he;s so big he'll just knock it down. Thank goodness for Lainey as she keeps him busy.

Kim (MSPCA Vol.), Lainey (Lainey Express Destiny Ryanhaus) and Beau (formerly Booker GSD/Lab?- Rescue)

(At Rainbow Bridge) Vegas- Our Gentle Giant R.I.P. 2000-2008 Meisha - Moo Moo R.I.P. 1990-2000-All GSDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Re: Not jump on fences?

I've gotten a PM that implies that because I was asking this question I am ignorant and abusive because I want to leave my dog outside alone for two or three minutes while I answer the phone - or heaven forbid, go to the bathroon alone. I have never had a dog do this so yes, I am ignorant in how to stop the behavior. Isn't that what these boards are for? To see if anyone else has this behavior and may have an idea about how to curtail it? Am I wrong?

Kim (MSPCA Vol.), Lainey (Lainey Express Destiny Ryanhaus) and Beau (formerly Booker GSD/Lab?- Rescue)

(At Rainbow Bridge) Vegas- Our Gentle Giant R.I.P. 2000-2008 Meisha - Moo Moo R.I.P. 1990-2000-All GSDs
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 01:55 PM
Elite Member

I think mine would just jump the 4 feet. That or they would run into it full tilt. lol
Not sure how to get them to stop jumping on fences. Maybe the same way as getting them to not counter surf? Walking next to the fence with a leash on and correcting him any time he touches the fence?

Sorry you got that pm. A sad side effect of big boards.

Danielle

Mace, Hexe and Blackjack
Along with Charlie, Oggy and Luna the cats
Plus Chickens, Ducks, Geese and Guinea fowl!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Crowned Member

You have to train him not to.
only thing I can suggest. If you are worried about him jumping the fence while you go the bathroom don't leave him out

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Try running a strand or two of hotwire off the horizontal supports of the stockade fence. Won't keep him from jumping clear over it, but sounds like he's not doing that and instead is climbing. This will definitely stop the climbing.

While this could be trained, it would be very difficult to do. It requires a LOT of consistency and repetitions and I doubt you'll have the neighborhood squirrels willing to help out with a training session. Without long term work on this and consistency, without him ever making a mistake or getting away with it, it will never be reliable. The behavior is very self rewarding, and training will only work if you can 100% prevent him from ever having a chance to go over the fence. Obviously you can't do that unless you supervise constantly. And even then, he may well learn that he can't go over the fence when you're there, but will try once and probably succeed when you're not there, and then he's learned that the rules only apply when you're with him, and all the training is quickly undone since the idea is to be able to leave him outdoors without supervision.

So I'd go with the hotwire. Quick and easy fix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page