Jogging/Running - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Jogging/Running

Jogging with Axel is the most hysterical sight my girlfriend has ever seen. Our first attempt ended in Axel making a sharp cut in front of me, coming to a complete stop...and me flying over the top of him. Although while I was doubled over on the ground holding my scarred knee he did come over to lick me in the face.

He has no rhythm, he will either zig zag like crazy, or cut in front of me, although he can walk fine on a leash.

Any training tips on this?

Axel DOB 7-24-08

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Knighted Member

Re: Jogging/Running

Run Faster than him?

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Lol, that's funny.

Axel DOB 7-24-08

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

I personally would wait until he is older to go running with him, until he is at LEAST 18-24 months. In the mean time get him used to staying on one side then the other on command (use a different command for each side and condition him to stay on that side of you at a walk at varying speeds). By the time his joints are solid enough for running he will be conditioned to which side he is supposed to be on. You DO want him used to being on both sides so he can be moved on the other side should another runner with a dog, biker or some other HUGE distraction comes along while you run.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:35 AM
Master Member

O.k do not take this the wrong way!

A duh shorten your lead so he cannot zig zag about! Just until he learns what the rules are anyway. It was easy enough for my guys to learn to get out ahead and stay out ahead and do not stop and sniff and what not. (and I started jogging with 2 together Monday)

Suzi

“Ein Leben ohne Boxer ist möglich, aber sinnlos.”
"A life with out boxer is possible but senseless"

uberhauptnichtwieder (Never ever again)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Berg WandererO.k do not take this the wrong way!

A duh shorten your lead so he cannot zig zag about! Just until he learns what the rules are anyway. It was easy enough for my guys to learn to get out ahead and stay out ahead and do not stop and sniff and what not. (and I started jogging with 2 together Monday)
I tried that, but then he literally gets under neat my feet. I think I will take Amaruq's advice and hold off on this for a while...I think he is still just too puppy crazy.

Axel DOB 7-24-08

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Crowned Member

wait until he is older

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Master Member

Yeah...he is a probably little young to maintain the focus it takes to stay in that traveling mode and not want to stop for anything.

I started jogging with Marshall at about 1 year. We did a little before that too...but I jogged slower and not too far at that point. If you're going to be running marathons though I'd wait until 18-24 months like Amaruq suggested. If you're jogging at a pace where the dog can just gait and you're only going a couple of miles, you can probably start a little earlier.

Now I jog with both the boys next to each other on my left, military style lol. Jack picked it up so quick since Marshall was already trained too so that made it easy. If I'm going for a longer run (over 2 miles) I don't bring Jack because he's still a bit little.

Marshall on the other hand...lol...makes me keep up my pace. If I start to slow down, he's in a heel position looking up at me like "move it or lose it human!!!"

Focus on getting him trained to follow you while walking first and then move on to a faster pace.

Christian

The Brat Pack:

- GSD Marshall (10/2007)
- Adopted Collie/Terrier Jack (8/2008)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Well, I'm in horrible shape. I myself could hardly jog 3/4th of a mile before being exhausted. So, I was hoping we could work up slowly together.

I just wanted to start with a few short sprints.

Axel DOB 7-24-08

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 02:06 PM

I tried running with my dog Schultz once. It ended pretty much like yours did, but hard enough on my knee that I couldn't walk on it for 3 days and still have scars (it was 2 years ago.) Oddly enough, he's VERY good at running along side of a bike, but not next to a person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page