Un-velcroing my dog??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Un-velcroing my dog???

I think we have been practicing too much the recall, now she donít want to go anywhere without me.
I want her to be close to me, mostly when we go to parks or the open field, but not to the point she cant goo Potty in the backyard without me.
How can detach her of me but keep her working in the recall which is good but still need polish?
Thanks.

Frank
Savannah's Dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Un-velcroing my dog???

Sorry they are velcro dogs
mine will go outside and wait at the door until I come out

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 03:08 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Tbarrios333

Sounds like a problem I *wish* I had

Owned by Nini and McKinley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 03:23 PM
Master Member

Someone should have told you that was the case. I can't sit to pee (married guys have to do that) without two visitors. I'm talking every time.

When I go out of town the wife tells me my pup sits in front of the garage door for about 1/2 hour every day about the time I usually get home. My last female (food crazy) wouldn't eat when I was out of town for the first 9 months or so we had her.

My present female lays on the bath mat when I shower so she can lick my legs as I towel off. It's great!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 03:34 PM

When I let my dog out to potty she'll walk outside and then turn around to see if I'm going to join her. If not she'll sit next to the door until I come outside. If I leave her be she'll run out into the yard to do her business real quick and then race back to the door so she can come inside.

When I take a shower she'll try to nose open the shower door so she can watch me to make sure all is well. All I can do is laugh and tell her it'll be ok. She'll eventually lay down on the bath mat and wait for me to exit.

When I go to the bathroom, yup, she's got to be there with me. Either scratching at the door or in the bathroom with me.

If I go out to my car to get something, when I open the door, she jumps in thinking we are going for a ride.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Tbarrios333

My puppy is my shadow around the house and when we go potty as well. I used to let her do her business as I stood at the door to let her back in when she was done, but now unless I go the whole way with her, she'll run back to me and wait.
I think it's all the hide-n-seek we play

Owned by Nini and McKinley.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 04:46 PM

My boy has figured out that when I put a hat on Im either going outside or for a ride...its amazing how much they can pick up and how much they love being by your side!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 04:51 PM
Master Member

yeah just jingle the keys, no matter where they are in the house, they come roaring at me.

Velcrow dogs they are! sometimes when Im house cleaning it can be a tad annoying. So I have to tell them to find their spot and lay dog and relax.

Marie

Quest Vom Spartanville (DOB 1/31/09) SCH2 IPO2 (Regionals 2012) BH TR1 CGC GSD
Leon v.h. Basjes Huis (3/26/12) GSD
Rosa Aritar Bastet (7/4/12) GSD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Yes, she always have to open the door while I am in the shower to see if I am ok, God forbid I can slip, or check around the toilet while I am sitting there, maybe that thing can eat me, or push the book off my face while I am reading because she didnít hear me breathing....

So, no cure?
LOL

Frank
Savannah's Dad
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 05:14 PM

Some of the behavior will continue--gsds do like to be an entourage. They are not called velcro-dogs for nothing. It is one of the qualities that makes them so good as service dogs. That said, socialization helps everything. As soon as your dog is well enough behaved, start walking around town, around parks, find (safe) obstacles for your dog to conquer, agility courses with tunnels to crawl through, jumps to go over, tires and other typical course obstructions, to build confidence in your dog. You do not have to go gung-ho and compete in agility to find value in it, although there's nothing wrong with getting involved with a little competition, either.
As far as another question you had, the fact that your dog jumps up and appears excited when you get up may be no more than your pup's anticipation that something good (from her point of view) is going to happen. My service dog gets excited every time I pick up my hair brush. He figures that at least 2 out of 3 times that means we're going to go somewhere so he'll go with the odds. Our dogs are very canny observers of our body language and habits. You may be keying her excitment by something you do habitually that you do not even recognise. khawk

khawk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page