Training my dog... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Training my dog...

I have a unique problem (at least I think its unique). I have a GSD (Schultz) and a pitt-bull mix (Ginny). They are both rescues coming from different backgrounds. Ginny was abused before, and I had her before I got Schultz. When I got her, I had a GSD-mix (Chief) who she got VERY attached to. We actually got her for Chief, to help keep him active as he grew older. We then rescued Schultz and just a few months later had to have Chief put down due to degenerative myelopathy and his 2nd round of bloat (his surgery that attached his stomach to his ribs didn't hold up.) Anyway, Ginny is VERY attached to Schultz and cries everytime he's out of her sight. She also distracts him when I try to train him. He knows basic commands, but I want to challenge him, but it's hard with her around. He is also reliant on her, and gets very anxious when she's not with him. I've tried having my husband walk her so I can work with him, but Schultz cries until she comes back. I've tried taking him out on walks and training him while we were out, but she cries the whole time. Does anyone know how I can work with him and her without a tearfest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Training my dog...

By securing the dog that you are not training in a room or crate that you cannot see or hear them. Then, be the most interesting thing in the world to the dog you are working with. Toys, food, play, whatever that dog likes the most start there. Be consistent and spend 5-10 minutes alone with each dog working on things at least a few times a week and they will soon relish the time they get alone with you. They will also listen to you better than they did before when you're all together.

John
- Zahar vom Leerburg "Lowen"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Diesel vom Kriegershaus "Diesel" BH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm, sounds like good advice. So, should I have my husband be the "most interesting thing in the world" to the other dog in the other room? Otherwise, I'm just going to have to get a little tougher skin because I don't want Schultz to not get the challenges and training that will help him. He's a GREAT dog and so is Ginny, but they both deserve the best I can give them both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Knighted Member

I would work on the tougher skin. Look at it this way, it is only for their benefit. You are not depriving the dogs of anything... on the contrary you are providing them with the individual attention they need. You always want to be more interesting than the other dog. If you're not, then why would they listen to you when they are together?

John

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Crowned Member

You're absolutely right that the dog in the other room needs something to distract them from their anxiety. I would buy a really yummy raw meaty bone or a bully stick and let them have it ONLY when they are separated from their pack mate. That way they get a special reward when they're separated.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Knighted Member

Good suggestion. I don't think of that because I train with a ball or tug, and once those come out food no longer matters.

John

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:17 PM
Crowned Member

Just to be clear: I meant the dog that's in the other room NOT training should get something special to keep them occupied.

Rafi the malaroo

....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Knighted Member

Oh I know. But mine will not eat anything (unless I'm holding it and I'm training with food) when they know it's time to train.

John

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:23 PM
Crowned Member

I understand--Rafi actually gets a little annoyed if I try to offer him a treat for a behavior when we're on a walk (we do our training on off leash walks). He just wants his ball or tuggy or whatever I've got with me.

Rafi the malaroo

....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the great advice. I'll have to get the one not training a rawhide, or DH will have to be the most interesting thing in the bedroom...not that he doesn't already think he is... ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page