Barking just to bark? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Barking just to bark?

Hi everyone,

Drake has started a new habit.

He will bark at ANYTHING even me or my fiance when he doesn't know it is us coming up the basement stairs. He barks at my fiance's brother who lives with us when he walks up the stairs. Is it because dogs eye sight are not very good?

I honestly do not know how to correct this behavior. He is obviously "caught off guard" and his intitial reaction is to bark. He will bark and walk up to you.

He barks at people walking by on the sidewalk while he is sitting at our bay window. He stays in the yard off leash at all times and that is when we play with his ball in the yard. But, immediately if someone is walking up to the house (mail man/lady) or walking by on the sidewalk Drake goes into barking mode and starts to head towards them (we stop him). He scares the crap out of people because they think he is being "mean". He did this at my large baby shower. He sat in the garage with 20 people but when someone walked up to the garage from the parked cars he jogged towards them barking.

I know this is his instinct to protect or to alert us. It just seems to be getting out of hand. I would like to know a way to let Drake know that it isn't bad to bark because I want him to be alert if someone bad were to break in or attack us. Although, I don't want barking at every single person that walks up to us or walks by.

When the mail lady walked up to the house today with a package she caught us off guard when we were playing ball in the yard. I had to immediately grab Drake by his collar because he started to walk towards her barking. I made him sit and waited for my fiance to get the package at the door. I kept trying to distract Drake with his ball to take his focus off her but he kept focusing right back to her.

I feel like I am not controlling this sitaution very well and I need to before I have Drake and the baby at the same time some place.

Is there a way to train Drake to NOT bark at everyone/everything that walks by or approaches us. Yet, keep him trained to do so when someone approaches our door when he is inside.

Also, need control on the situation with him barking at people who live in the house when they come around the corner or up the basement stairs.

Thanks!

BTW: He gets TONS of socialization and is perfectly fine around crowds of people on and off leash. I THINK it's when he is sort of caught off guard. He is still attending obedience class.

Jillian

Drake-1 year old GSD- Birthday December 6th

Add Drake @ Dogster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 01:10 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Re: Barking just to bark?

It could be a "not enough excercise/mental stimulation" issue. One of the best ways to stop incessant barking is to teach him to back on command. Once he barks on command you can give him an "enough" or "quiet" command to stop barking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

We take him to the park for an hour every day and we have him fetch his ball up large hills and down them. I will admit though I have been slacking during the week on the mental stimulation as far as working on his commands. I will need to get back on track with that.

Any suggestions on how to begin to train him to bark on command?

Thank you!

Jillian

Add Drake @ Dogster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

I also read this is his rebellious stage or "teenage" stage.

6-9months? I believe that is what I read. This might have a lot to do with his behavior so now I just need to be more stern then ever with his commands.

Jillian

Add Drake @ Dogster
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Elite Member

There was an article in the Whole Dog Journal about this a while back. You could search their archives for it and buy just that one article. It was really good, having to do with dogs who are overly vocal.

We've had a couple excessive barkers in our time. Frankly, they were also the most endearing dogs. Our current excessive barker has never gotten under control. He is the master of the yard and he barks at anything that comes within 100 yards of it. It's his job. We have not discouraged it. But years ago we adopted two girls who were both excessive barkers and that's why they lost their home. I think it's important to nip this in the bud right away and so Pat Miller's article on it should be very helpful.

Here I looked it up, here's the article I'm thinking of:
http://tinyurl.com/kwpmwf
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Ty, Strongheart!

Drake is an endearing dog. I love him to pieces!

Jillian

Add Drake @ Dogster
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Crowned Member

Jillian, when you figure this out, let me know! LOL

Quote:
Quote:We've had a couple excessive barkers in our time. Frankly, they were also the most endearing dogs. Our current excessive barker has never gotten under control.
Nikon is only 9 months but this is basically how I feel about him. He's just a vocal dog. We allow barking in the yard (except excessive barking along the fence) and are always trying to reinforce that in the house we are quiet and outside we can bark. He barks at toys, when he's playing, at birds, etc. In SchH he never ever had a problem learning to bark and he's had a deep, full bark since he was about 12 weeks. I don't worry about it too much as long as he's not barking all day while I'm at work.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

I dont mind if he barks its just I dont want to scare the crap out of every person who approaches him, lol.

Granted, he ends up wagging his tail when they start to pet him.

I will say though it is getting irritating when he barks at us in the house when we walk around the corner or up the basement stairs because he doesn't know it is us yet.

Jillian

Add Drake @ Dogster
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Crowned Member

I know exercise and mental stimulization is one thing
but seriously my B is 4 and barks at everything and anything
I really think he loves to hear himself bark and I exercise him

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Wait let me add to that.

He knows we are in the house yet he still barks when we come walking around a corner. And he just saw us 5 minutes before that!

Strange, lol.

Jillian

Add Drake @ Dogster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page