Putting toys up - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Putting toys up

Would I teach J to put his toys away by getting him to carry a toy he's been playing with to the spot where toys would be put away, a box, then giving the drop command? Or should I put a new word with it when he drops it into a box, such as "Toys up" so as not to confuse? And then allowing him to take a new toy, and repeat? Praise and treats of course would follow, no fun just learning.. lol
Of course he would need to learn drop it first... Not hard, that has to be one of the easiest commands to teach, it's just catching a behavior.

I never taught my dogs this, and there are toys EVERYWHERE.

And an odd question, do most of you add a hand signal to a command? I think way ahead, like if a dog goes deaf, or you are somewhere exceptionally loud and cannot be understood.
I wish I had done this with Dutch, he hears about as well as a brick, now all of knows is 'come' and 'go'... Which is me doing an exaggerated arm movement towards or away from myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Master Member

Re: Putting toys up

You could use "clean up" Like let's "clean up" and have him bring his toys to the box. L has balls that we keep in the back of the car and when it's time to, I tell her we need to put them away and she'll bring it to me. If she's ready to stop that is LOL! If I'm tired, I'll sit in the back of the car with the hatch open and wait her out. It's usually not more than a few minutes and she'll bring it to me. Hey, she's still a pup...

Kim (MSPCA Vol.), Lainey (Lainey Express Destiny Ryanhaus) and Beau (formerly Booker GSD/Lab?- Rescue)

(At Rainbow Bridge) Vegas- Our Gentle Giant R.I.P. 2000-2008 Meisha - Moo Moo R.I.P. 1990-2000-All GSDs
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Master Member

Sorry, I didn't finish. I use hand commands for the basics- sit, stay, down, come but not anything else. I have always tried to do both voice and hand just in case the dog goes deaf or blind for some reason at some point.

Kim (MSPCA Vol.), Lainey (Lainey Express Destiny Ryanhaus) and Beau (formerly Booker GSD/Lab?- Rescue)

(At Rainbow Bridge) Vegas- Our Gentle Giant R.I.P. 2000-2008 Meisha - Moo Moo R.I.P. 1990-2000-All GSDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 07:12 PM

I would use a seperate command so as not to confuse. Brilliant idea btw, I would like to try this also. Let me know how it works out and good luck!

Owner to Minerva - 2yo uber pup & Zelda - 13 pounds of feline fury!

"The more I see of man, the more I like dogs." ~Mme. de Staël
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Master Member

I tell Bella "Get your toys!" and I have a hand signal to go with every command I teach her. She can do everything I've taught her verbally, or with hand signals. I just posted about picking up toys earlier, and how she finally caught on. When she's holding a toy and I call her to the box, I hold a treat over the box, so she drops it in and takes the treat. It worked pretty well for me. After the treat is gone, she'll pick a new toy to bring out.

Devin-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The cat's have profiles too, look in her family.
Tiny One Mewer (Tom)-Chartreux 4/3/01
Nico-DSH Tabby 4/13/08
Shai-DMH Torti Tabby 8/26/08
Rescues.
PLEASE ALTER YOUR PETS!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 10:36 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted By: APBTLoveAnd an odd question, do most of you add a hand signal to a command?
Actually, more often than not I START with a hand signal, and add the verbal cue later. Dogs are masters at reading body language, so they pick up hand signals pretty quick, especially if you start by luring behaviors. The lure motion simply becomes the hand signal, usually faded somewhat so it's more subtle.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page