How to teach "leave it" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

How to teach "leave it"

Does anyone have steps to teaching "leave it"? I have never used this command but I think it may be helpful with Jackson on walks. I would like to be able to use it for things such as to not pick up trash, to not pay attention to squirrels, to not bark at the old man watering his lawn, etc...

Jen
Mom to:
Forrest, Golden Retriever, born 2/02
Jackson, GSD, born 10/22/08
Sundae, cat, born 4/25/95
Magnum, GSD, 5/94 - 2/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Elite Member

Re: How to teach "leave it"

This is how my trainer is teaching me to teach my pup "leave it"
My trainer said that you should always let your pup make his/her own decision if they want to leave it when you told them to the first time then they will get praised if they did as told if not then you reprimand.
1) Tell them to "leave it", whatever it is they were told to leave
2) Let them make their own decision if they are going to leave it or not, if they go at whatever you told them to leave then give them a pop with the leash and tell them "leave it".
3) It's all about repetition, you have to be consistent when teaching something new eventually they will get it.
We have been working with my pup on the "leave it" command and shes got it down, now all I have to say is "leave it" and she does exactly that. I hope this helps.

Jessica
Annie- 3 yo GSD
Beowulf- 1 yo GSD
Highplains Christmas Shimmer- Noel
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 07:32 PM

We started in obedience doing this on leash. Tempt him with something, use the "leave it" command and make a correction (very quick tug of leash) if he doesn't pay attention. They catch on pretty quick. As far as the barking, we use the "out" command. That includes excessive whining. Timber just finished his private obedience lessons and started group.

That's my 2 cents anyway. There are many different training methods out there. Our obedience trainer has been breeding and training GSDs for 30 years and trains police dogs also. Good luck!

~~Cindy

Sasha - Black and tan female (02/12/98)
Ally - Sable female (08/29/01)
Kellan von dem Waldkonig - Bi-color male (10/02/09)
Timber - (10/14/08 - 08/27/09) We will always love you! Thank you for choosing us.
Spencer (RIP sweet boy)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 07:33 PM

Looks like we were typing at the same time Jessica.

~~Cindy

Timber - (10/14/08 - 08/27/09) We will always love you! Thank you for choosing us.
Spencer (RIP sweet boy)
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

What is the "out" command? Jackson is a HUGE whiner. He barks a lot, too. When I say "out" the dogs think it is time to go outside so I may have to use something different.

Jen
Mom to:
Magnum, GSD, 5/94 - 2/09
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Master Member

I used treats.
Start with a treat in your hand and put a treat on the floor.
When he tries to eat the treat,cover it with one hand and give a firm command :"LEAVE IT" If he backs up or leaves the treat give him a treat(the one in your hand)and then pick up the one on the floor.Then reapeat.
It worked for me very quick,but be firm with the commands.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 08:25 PM

What I teach (it works by the third try) -
(1) have a treat in each hand, make your hand into a fist so the dog cannot get the treat, usually hot dog in one and kibble in the other.
(2) hide the hot dog hand behind your hand. Offer your kibble fist to your dog (I squat down or sit down with them, so I am at their level and they are not jumping at me). He will nose at it and try to get to it. When he turns his head away "Good boy!" and pull the kibble hand towards you while you give him the hot dog from the hidden fist.
(3) get another hot dog piece and repeat.
(4) when he pulls his head away from the kibble fist on his own and looks at you, mark with "Leave it! Good boy!" and offer hot dog fist.
(5) once he knows "Leave it" try with other things, and wean off the treats. Keep the praise "Good boy" or pet, and occasionally treat or play.
Things to remember - don't give him the kibble, only the hot dog, in the beginning.

Victoria & Jedi ITD CGC
Dream Dogz
Training & Behavior

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 09:56 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Excellent videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNAOe...BD3DDC&index=2

I use this method, but when I put food on the floor I don't use a leash, I start by sitting on the floor with the puppy and use my hand to cover it if necessary, and work up to being able to stand, using my foot to cover the food if puppy lunges towards it. When you start doing it in motion, you pretty much need to use a leash.

Another great video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipT5k1gaXhc

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: JenCWhat is the "out" command? Jackson is a HUGE whiner. He barks a lot, too. When I say "out" the dogs think it is time to go outside so I may have to use something different.
"Out" is the command my trainer teaches for excessive barking/whining and barking at other dogs while out (no pun intended.)

You say it in a firm, growly, deep voice very quickly "Out!". If they don't stop, make a leash correction. Always wait for them to stop on their own first though, with a "good boy/girl" if they stop.

~~Cindy

Spencer (RIP sweet boy)
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice. I am excited to start teaching him something new!
Any advice to help with barking outside off leash? This one is tough because we have a fenced yard and he barks at the neighbors and/or their dogs if they dare to come outside. Very embarrasing - especially at 6:00 in the morning!

Jen
Mom to:
Magnum, GSD, 5/94 - 2/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page