to NOT cross the garden perpendicular to the rows! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

to NOT cross the garden perpendicular to the rows!

Crash Bandicoot loves to cross the garden by coming right thru the rows and strawberry patch. How do I teach her to be aware of where her feet are?

There are plans on the internet to build a 'ladder' for them to walk over. Would that combined with walking her up and down the rows work?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Crowned Member

Re: to NOT cross the garden perpendicular to the rows!

I've never had a dog that wouldn't take the shortest route s/he could navigate. I think you would have better luck teaching the human to build a fence...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

to NOT cross the garden perpendicular to the row

Oh you've never seen me with a hammer. It's far less dangerous to everyone involved if I try to teach her to down the row.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Crowned Member

Re: to NOT cross the garden perpendicular to the row

I fenced in my vegetable/herb garden to keep the dogs out. Although they didn't really bother the plants, I was more concerned with them using it as a bathroom... I found garden/rabbit fencing at the hardware store which worked really well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 01:52 PM

Re: to NOT cross the garden perpendicular to the rows!

wow, that's an awesome name! Brings back memories of the original game when the franchise was still good!

Dudley - born 3/1/2009
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Re: to NOT cross the garden perpendicular to the r

That's not her name. I think it should have been though. She's definitely a 'charge and think later' kinda girl.

She's done very well out in the garden today while I'm planting. I keep telling her Out and Back and now she's going around the edge of the garden to come to me.

tomatoes, celery and peppers are done. Now to go see what else DH brought home and if it was even on the list!

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Crowned Member

Well, I'd say then, if you are unsafe with a hammer, that maybe it is a lost cause EXCEPT - I saw "step in" posts at Tractor Supply last week. (sorry your excuse isn't good any more!)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Crowned Member

Don't have any recent pictures of my garden but this year I put 2' wire hoop fence around the outside and yelled at the dogs repeatedly to GET OUT OF MY GARDEN! Then I put 1' sections of 12" hoop fence in front of some of the plants that weren't under the protection of a shrub.

The green wire blends with the plants so I don't see them but Big Fat Foot Puppy sees them. He's careful not to go near them becuase he's gotten his big fat leg stuck in a few of them.

I was proud of Big Fat Foot today - he has a cone on his head from his neuter on thursday, he was on 75 mg of ACE and a rymadil, yet he remembered NOT to chase his ball past the fence into my garden.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: middleofnowhereWell, I'd say then, if you are unsafe with a hammer, that maybe it is a lost cause EXCEPT - I saw "step in" posts at Tractor Supply last week. (sorry your excuse isn't good any more!)
I don't want to put a fence around my garden. She can easily jump 2' and probably 3'. I'm not putting an eyesore of 4' around the garden. She did fine yesterday with Out and Back so I guess I can figure it out on my own.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Out and Back yesterday worked!! I'm finishing planting today and threw her frisbee...and then cringed as I realized the wind took it directly over the tomatoes! She went all the way around the garden like the good girl that she is (yeah right...she's a lunatic!!) to get her frisbee and bring it back to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page