help!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

help!!

I know this is basic but please bare with me. I have just been rescheduled for the 2nd time by my trainer. We have been waiting for this for 2 weeks. Have had Gunther for 2 weeks he is 15 weeks old. How do you start with leash. Just regular leash? Let him walk around where he wants to go at first? Gunther will walk a few steps then balks, and chews on lease Please advise I have been scrolling thru old post but need basic day one leash training.Thank you in advance for your help!!

Gunther: GSD Chloe-Daschund
Cappy, Pharoh, Scooby, Bitty-One all beloved kitties
RIP-Doc our beloved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Crowned Member

Re: help!!

Look in the puppy forums, there are some recent threads on leash/walking, etc. I would carry treats and use a flat buckle collar or harness. No choke or slip collar. Small training sesions are best and be positive and upbeat the whole time. Building your pups confidence is most important at this age.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 09:37 AM

I brought my puppy home when she was 11 weeks old she is now 16 weeks. We had her on a leash full time even around the house. If she wasn't with us, she was kenneled. She walks wonderfully. Not sure if her previous owner had time to work with her or not, but she did great right from the beginning. Not sure if having the leash on her all the time helped too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

I want to make sure I am understanding, leash on him while he is walking around the house? I have noticed in pics lease dragging while dog is doing his own thing also. Did your pup chew leash, when he does just ignore? or tell him no. I will go and look back further on post, I guess I wanted to start right away, the trainer was susposed to start with us her at home at 10:00. Trying to get started. Thanks for all your input

Gunther: GSD Chloe-Daschund
Cappy, Pharoh, Scooby, Bitty-One all beloved kitties
RIP-Doc our beloved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page