Stand from down or sit. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Stand from down or sit.

Jasmine has sit and down quite good, I would like to teach her to stand and can't figure out how to do it without confusing her.

I use positive reinforcement and can use the clicker (if I can find it, it is misplaced at the moment)

Any insights are welcome. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Stand from down or sit.

Here's how I teach the Stand from a Sit. It's the preferred method for competitive obedience because the front feet do NOT move.

Have the dog sit. Stand next to the dog, facing their side. Hold the dogs collar and LIGHTLY brush your foot over their back feet.

This should cause the dog to kick their feet back and stand up - hence the name the Kick Back Stand.

I would mark and reward the kick back motion. I also add the command name AND hand signal in at the very beginning.

I do not put anything in front of the dog to stop their forward motion because then I just have to remove it later and that sets the training almost back to the beginning.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Master Member

I personally use a treat and put it in front of Sarge's nose and then move it forward until he is in a stand. Then I push lightly on his upper and mid back to re-enforce his sit position. I then walk him from the stand position to re-enforce that...

I've seen some people put the foot under the dogs belly after he is in the stand position to help him continue to stand.

~Rachel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Master Member

I like the Kick Back Stand way. I'm gonna try it tonight and see if he reacts faster that way.

~Rachel
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 02:30 PM
Master Member

With a leash I've taught the stand out of motion by putting my foot under the belly and use the word stand. Careful not to pull up on the leash which will encourage sit. Others may disagree but once the dog knows the command it should be easier to teach it from other positions.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

I don't understand what "the Kick Back Stand" way is.

Edit to add: some how I missed the 2nd post on here. Thanks
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Knighted Member

I've use the method Lauri suggested with good success with both Kayla and Lancer.

However I have also seen some dogs in classes non-responsive to this method. What we have used as an alternative in those cases is to place the hand under the rear of the belly toward the hips to bring them into a stand. This stil encourages a stand without moving forward or with a visible obstacle in front of the dog. If this manner is used, we try to remove the prompt from the behavior as quickly as possible.

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The GangHere's how I teach the Stand from a Sit. It's the preferred method for competitive obedience because the front feet do NOT move.

Have the dog sit. Stand next to the dog, facing their side. Hold the dogs collar and LIGHTLY brush your foot over their back feet.

This should cause the dog to kick their feet back and stand up - hence the name the Kick Back Stand.

I would mark and reward the kick back motion. I also add the command name AND hand signal in at the very beginning.

I do not put anything in front of the dog to stop their forward motion because then I just have to remove it later and that sets the training almost back to the beginning.
This Thurs. is my last obedience class and it is Test Day. I would love to have the instructor demostrate this method. I've never seen it done. It looks like a good method. Having the front feet in correct position right at the start would be a big bonus.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 03:13 PM
Knighted Member

Just wondering what exercises does a dog go from a sit to a stand that the front feet can not move?
In competitive obedience & SchH, the stands are all moving stands that I'm aware of.
Even in the Novice Stand for Examination, the exercises does not start till the dog is standing, you are allowed to Pose the dog.

OTCH SG1 (CAN) Deejay von Hausnobilis UD HIT CGN
~A Well-Balanced Dog has Titles at Both Ends~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fayanna vom Wildhaus CGN
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Crowned Member

Rally, maybe? There's a sit-stand-sit for sure. However I'm not sure how picky they are on feet moving for that exercise. I know for the moving stand the feet cannot shuffle, step forward, dog cannot pivot.

In conformation class we were told to train the stand without a step forward. I thought regardless of it's usefulness, it is nice for more hind end awareness, training the dog to stand up without stepping up out of the stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page