Jumping to give a smooch - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Jumping to give a smooch

When I have Drake on lead and we're walking, he will ignore people, dogs (to a certain extent), pretty much anything. If he does pay attention I will give him a tug and tell him to leave it. He's good about this. But, if someone stops to comment or ask to pet him and I am friendly with them, he gets so excited he can't help but try to jump up and "kiss" them, he won't even stay in a sit. He doesn't put paws on anyone, it's a quick hop to touch the face. I don't want him to accidently hurt someone but bumping a nose or lip, he should know his manners, period. No matter what I've tried, this behavior continues. I have to pull down on his collar to make sure he doesn't jump up. It's frustrating because it's hard to go into a full blown lesson while talking to a stranger, or worse yet, a child. Right now, since I'm travelling with him, it's difficult to work with a group, as I don't have one. So, for now, it's constantly strangers we're meeting. It's ten times worse when we go to get supplies a PetSmart as everybody wants to greet him and that can make shopping very difficult. I know he should sit until someone is allowed to pet him, and he does until the hand comes to touch, then he gets so excited it's like the pet itself is his release! What is the best way to correct this without negative reinforcement??

I've just gotten to a point while I have him in a sit, before I allow anyone to pet him, I tell them I have a problem with him jumping so please let me get him calm and hold him before they can pet. With small children I explain he gets too excited and I don't want him to knock them over, or I turn him around and allow them to pet his behind. No matter what I've tried, doesn't work with him. The sad part is, he's worse with children because he absolutely adores them and he gets so excited he just can't help himself. He hasn't seen my granddaughter since January and I know he misses her so he hasn't gotten his "kid fix". I do want him to interact, but gently.

Have dog, will travel...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Re: Jumping to give a smooch

BTW, road day. If I get responses, I'm not ignoring. Evening will be busy as I'm visiting someone and have another road day tomorrow. May not get back to this until tomorrow evening. Thanks in advance!

Have dog, will travel...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Knighted Member

I used a pinch collar and had treats on hand when I was dealing with situations like this, because that smooch could turn into a nip, or at the very least his teeth could graze someone, and then you could be looking at more than just an apology. It is more humane than a "choke" collar, and works far more effectively than your grabbing him (I think this just makes things worse.) Have your dog sit, and reward him for doing so - have the person approach, but keep your dog sitting. At the first attempt to jump up on the person (or get up) correct him -very little effort is needed to get the collar to work properly (just make sure you have the clasp on the leash through BOTH rings on the collar. It must also fit properly - high on the neck, above the sensitive throat area, and snug, you don't want it moving around.) Praise and some treats when he stays calm and behaves politely. With my dogs it took only a few sessions to get things under control - the collar doesn't hurt them if it is used properly, but the pressure around the entire neck is something they don't like. Ultimately, all I had to do was to put the collar on and that was enough - I didn't even have to use it.

Good luck!
__________________________________________________ __
Susan

Anja GSD
Conor GSD - adopted from this Board
Blue GSD - at the Bridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

I've been using a pinch, doesn't work, yes it's fitted and used properly. I'm not the best trainer, LOL, but also not new. I've worked through other issues, I can keep him from doing just about anything else, he listens pretty well, believe it or not. I know how to correct, how to praise, still doesn't work. I've gotten to the point where I'm just not going to let anyone pet him or pay him any attention. I realize the attention is his reward, to him it's better than any treat I may be holding. Maybe after a while, he'll get tired of THAT and perhaps calm himself????

Have dog, will travel...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Knighted Member

I too had a problem with Dakota jumping up on people, certain ones only. I would describe them as being "weak" in the dog skills department.

One of them was my son's girlfriend. She is a little bit unsure about herself around Dakota and Dakota senses it. We made several attemps to curve this, by getting my son to tell her off, getting my son to make sure she was in a good solid sit/stay before he opened the door (that didn't work as he was more concerned aobut greeting the girlfriend than training the dog),by getting the girlfriend to turn her back on her, to ignor her when she first came in etc. We had some success, but, she would still jump.

Unfortunately I was usually not around when she came in, and when we set it up Dakota would not jump. I was becoming annoyed with the jumping but it was diirected at my adult/teen children, who would not take the steps to curve the behaviour and work with Dakota. A few weeks ago, when I was not in the best of moods, Dakota jumped on the girlfriend when she was leaving - right in front of me. Since she was not leashed, I grabbed Dakota by the collar with two hands and very firmly told her off. I have never ever spoken to her like this or ever grabbed he collar in a firm way. Dakota got the message and has never jumped since. I know that this is not the best method to use as it is not the positive training that I do.

One thing that I cannot stand is a dog jumping on me and equally my dog jumping on someone else.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Knighted Member

O.K., you have a tough nut to crack LOL! Have you tried a squirt bottle? (And if plain water doesn't work, you can add a small amount of vinegar.) He would still need to be on a leash, because you need to have him close enough to you to get a good aim. I have used this method from time to time for inappropriate behavior with great results. A nice jet in the face (and a very firm "Leave it!", I don't use "No", I think they hear it so often they ignore it) generally gets their attention, and it doesn't hurt them, just takes them by surprise and is somewhat unpleasant. My young fellow hated it so much all I had to do was pick up the bottle for him to stop what ever he was doing I didn't like. I hate to see a dog cut off from interaction with other people because I feel socialization is just too important to be put on the back burner. I really think you can get this under control, it's just going to take longer than you would like IMHO.

__________________________________________________ ___
Susan

Anja GSD
Conor GSD - adopted from this Board
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Anja, I appreciate the input. He is so good in every other way, I also hate to put a halt to his "people skills". He just gets so excited he can't help himself, but I don't want it to go the other way, either. If I keep him from people, he'll get the idea there's something wrong with them and may, in time, shy away or be aggressive. I will certainly try your method, it's worth a shot (pun intended, LOL)!

Have dog, will travel...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

I just wanted to give an update. I've been using a little more of the pinch collar, with a little more force, on walks and in public. Also used the squirt bottle and the combination worked. I took him to an outdoor concert in a small town in Ohio and he was a perfect gentleman! This town was the most "dog friendly" I've visited, seemed everybody who saw him came to visit, and no jumping!! We had our picture taken for their local paper, I was one proud Mom! Thanks for the suggestion!!

Have dog, will travel...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page